• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat plug with check valve

Grabs

Question

Does anyone know who makes a boat plug with a built in check valve so that water will flow out, but not in? I know these are out there, and my girlfriend's Dad really wants one so that when it rains and the boat is on the lift the rain runs out.

Any one have any ideas where a guy can find one and which ones may work better than others?

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 10-08-2002).]

7 answers to this question

Grabs - I believe your looking for something called a "Sea Scupper" which can be purchased through Cabela's. We use them on Lake Michigan boats and Offshore boats also.

They come in drain sizes 1" about $6 plus change or 3" for$15 plus change.

Seize the moments and tight-lines <"))><

BB-LDF

Some of the scuppers have screens to prevent debris from entering the output, but I would think sand would still be an issue. I don't see how that could be a good idea. I do know they make bilges with check valves. That would be a good idea though

The reason we don't pull the plug when we put it on the lift is because you would have to get in the water to unscrew the plug from the drain. You can't do it from inside the boat. These are used on many Great Lakes boats as described. We'll see how it works once we get our hands on one.

Thanks guys

Get a fully automatic bilge pump that will turn itself on when the water levels get so high. It shouldn't drain your battery too much either (unless you get umpteen inches of rain).

My Alumacraft has that, found out the hard way when the plug wasn't put in before launching one day. The bilge turned on immediately when it detected the water, and I didn't even have the main power source on. I liked that feature when I learned of it!

A boat cover wouldn't be a bad idea also. Cover for the lift, or cover for the boat. That would keep all the water out and save on the damaging elements.

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 10-09-2002).]

Hi guys ... read some good thoughts here and all certainly will provide a workable solution for a drainage concern ... it’s great to have choices and input. Not all Great Lake or Offshore boats use Scuppers either some use the electronic operated dains(about$120 plus change)along with auto bilge-pumps. But I'm talking working folks boats the type I own.

Scuppers work on the same theory [to a point] as running your rig with the drain plug removed to pull the water out of your boat - of course this means your plug is easily accessible from the inside of your rig so that when your speed drops to a point where the water will flow back in - you better have plug in before that point. With the Scuppers the ball or rubber flap closes and outside water pressure keeps it sealed tight keeping water out and when you take off it opens always pulling water out. This is of more importance to Offshore or Great Lakes boats I expect where you might be rinsing the stern compartment from time to time during an outing. However - I think it might be of great help if you’re taking on waves on Mille Lacs also - bilge pumps work and are needed but mainly needed because the water is trapped in boat. What if they dump-out? Yes, you’re right - what if all systems fail? Well you keep her on plane head for the dock and forget No-Wake rule, although at 4mph you still might pull enough water out to avoid a problem. Hope I never have the opportunity to find out :^) I have gone down in the Mississippi River while duck hunting in another's boat and I’ll tell you its nothing you want to do more than once shocked.gif.... enough on that subject. All aboard O.K.

None of my Scupper equipped boats have ever sunk nor to I know of any that have sunk [i’m sure however there might be a story out there somewhere]. On the larger boats I do have auto-bailing units but mainly because the boats are left in the water unattended and not on a hoist which would allow the Scupper(s) to open draining rain water, wash water, etc. The smallest boat that I’ve put a Scupper on was a 17’ flat-bottom that I used for duck hunting. All one really needs is enough room around the exterior drain hole on the transom to produce a good mount. If you’re uncomfortable at first and it’s a 1” drain that is easily accessible from the inside carry one of those push in-drain plugs [cost a couple bucks] and stick it in the hole from the inside.

Have fun be safe ..... whatever floats our boat.

BB-LDF