Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandmannd

September 11th Anniversary

19 posts in this topic

Please take a moment on this day to reflect back on the tragedy that unfolded on this day. For me, it was the most hideous thing I have ever seen. It would have been horrible to watch anywhere in the world but to see it unfold in America was unbelievable. I can still remember where I was, my reaction and the sickened feeling in my stomach watching it.

Remember those that parished and those heros that ran in to help others in need. It's the worst day in American History that I lived through. The days after were some of the most patriotic that I have ever experienced. Use this to remember we are all American's and even though we don't all see eye to eye at times, we are brothers and sisters in that respect.

This was one of the most terrifiying days of our familys life:

I had just picked up the neigbors kids with mine for school when I became aware of the first plane slamming into the tower.

Still unaware that this was terrorists I dropped the kids off and headed to the local cafe for some small talk and coffee.

by the time I get there the other plane had slammed into the second tower. And now it's obvious what's going on.

Now mind you my wife is sitting in the capital building in Gil Guetnicks office when she hears a jet throttling up just across the river and thinks nothing of it until the phone call ordering everyone out of the captial comes and informs them that the plane she heard just crashed into the Pentagon.

All communictions are instantly scrambled and Marshall law is decalared in DC with troops and tanks in the streets.

She can't call out, I can't call her and Flight 93 is still in the air headed for who knows where. and DC is in full lock down.

The next two days were the worst, not knowing where she was and if she was ok.

Then the phone call came with her in tears on the other end and me thanking god for answering my prayers. this two days was tough on our son Josh, luckily Katie at only 6 was not understanding the full impact. I did my best to explain in kid terms.

The Dept. of Tranportation finally came up with a car a day or so later and they where cleared to leave the city to get back home. Nobody was flying anywhere due to grounded planes.

We will never forget.

I agree, I’m too young to know what Pearl Harbor was like. I guess this is my Pearl Harbor. My thoughts today will be about that day 7 years ago and how I vividly remember it.

The fact we haven’t been hit again in 7 years means people have been doing their jobs.

I would totally support a moratorium of any “back and forth” today in remembrance. It would be a nice change pace in this forum.

I would totally support a moratorium of any “back and forth” today in remembrance. It would be a nice change pace in this forum.

Also well said!

Very sad day 7 years ago and it still sits in the back of my mind everyday. I had family members out there when this happened and I know what fishgutz77 felt like not knowing if they were safe. Just like him it was 2 days later I received a phone call from them saying they were alright, huge weight lifted and I could start to function somewhat normal again. I still remember watching the TV here at work seeing the 2nd plane hit. My prayers go out to all the families that lost someone that day..

Two days in my life I will alway remember...the day Kennedy was shot, I was walking out of shop class when the radio made the anouncement...and 9/11.

I work in the airline industry...that day has changed everything and to live near a small airport where planes go over my house hourly and not to hear or see even those was very weird.

We can never forget.

Quote:
Say what you will about any administration, but the fact we haven’t been hit again in 7 years rings loud and clear.

I agree, and not wanting to turn this politcal, if you would have told me seven years ago that we wouldn't have been attacked again by now, I don't know if I would have bought it. More than the administration, I thank those in the military, police officers and all that give to this great country. Thanks for keeping us safe after the worst event on American soil.

Quote:

I agree with this as well. Put all differances aside and as I stated before, we are all Americans.

fishgutz and mnwild, I can't relate to having family in the havack. To go through what you did had to be pure He11. Hug your family and let them know you love them everyday. Family and friends are what life is about. We all have our differences, but I like to believe the members on this site are for the most part my friends. I've met some and some I haven't but I feel as though I know you through the site.

It was a weird couple of days, that's for sure. I'm a campus pastor at MSU-Mankato, and I had a lot of students coming to me asking if this was the "End of the world". Lot's a kids came to church that week.

It was interesting that the first reaction of some of the faculty was to have an "anti-war" rally, right after 9-11. Back then we had a lot of international students with Islamic backgrounds who were very scared. There was just such a range of reactions on campus, that it was both fascinating and scary, all at the same time.

I don't think I went to bed that night - I just kept on watching the coverage, staring in unbelief.

I was a city editor at the Duluth News-Tribune at the time, and I tended to get in earlier in the morning than most reporter and editors there.

The first plane had not hit when I left the house for the office. When I got there, there were a handful of people clustered around one of the newsroom televisions and I walked over in time to see the second plane hit.

I had no loved ones in Washington, and as I saw those buildings come down my immediate thought, aside from the basic outrage, was those a whole lot of people just died, and that was a bad thing.

So today I'll acknowledge the dead and honor those who fought that day to save them, as well as those who have fought to keep us safe.

While I don't ever feel truly safe (safety is an illusion we create to keep ourselves content, IMO), there have been people toiling mightily to keep similar attacks from happening.

I thank them for that.

driving into work today on hwy 25 thru monticello the fire dept had a big rig out with ladder extended with a sign that said WE WILL NEVER FORGET 9-11. pretty touching kinda brought tears and a lump in the tummy. good job to the monti fire dept.

I was scheduled to be on a flight to New York that morning with an arrival time just after the first tower was hit. The customer cancelled the night before.

We rescheduled the meeting for September 18th and it was mighty strange to be 1 of 5 passengers on that flight as travellers stayed away. My boss was 1 of 4 on his flight.

We discussed how we were "checking out" our fellow travelers and assessing potential`threats.

As we didn't have a meeting scheduled until dinner, we walked down as close to as we were allowed to Ground Zero. The missing posters all over our route and especially Washington Square Park were heartbreaking.

We stopped at two Fire Stations on the way and offered our condolences, made donations to the victim's funds that were there and thanked them for their sacrifice.

So many painful images.

i remeber that night looking out from my deck and the sky was starlight. i remeber thinking, No planes into the sky.

raise a glass to all those who perished, the firefighters and police, and the brave men and women in uniform.

i thank God everyday for my life and 9/11 helped me put my own life into perspective

Right on, Sandmannd.

I think many of us will always remember where we were & what we were doing on that day, & how unimportant my work felt when we were shooed away from the TVs & back to our desks.

Ditto Max.

At that time I was working in a production machine shop. I went in the office to check on something and everybody was tuned to the TV.

It wasn't clear what was going on up till we watched the second plane come in.

I went out on the floor and one of my co-workers noticed something had changed about me. He asked what was going on.

With a worried, hollow feeling, I said "Someone just started WW III".

Work slowed. Noises were lower, but we kept on doing our thing.

I think we stayed in the break room watching until 11 or 12 that day. We were all so shell shocked. I went back to my desk a couple of times, but just kep reading the accounts online. I don't remember doing anything that day. I couldn't concentrate. I thought we had a war going on our soil and was so sereal about what I had just seen. I was thinking about my family and friends and worried about all the folks in those buildings. I think I had a hard time even sleeping for a while. I was scared, humbled and angry all at the same time.

I remember walking into one of our depts here and someone telling me about it and asked "what's the punchline" I just could not believe something like that could happen.

I believe that a silent remembrance of those lost is in order.

I was waiting to board a plane from LAX to Gen Mitchell in Milwaukee. Needless to say I stayed a few extra nights on Manhattan Beach and the flight back on the 15th was white knuckled to say the least...