Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MUSKY18

Finally had a good night on the water

20 posts in this topic

Hit the water with my brother and Lund95 last night for some fishing in front of the approaching storm. Not much going on until the sun set and the darkness started creeping in. Raised a 45ish fish on an M&G, but she lost interested rather quick. Next spot, had a 40ish fish come up behind a Hellhound and open its mouth 3 different times, but stopped short of eating the bait. Norm Wild showed us a new way to work a Hellhound, very eratic, and the fish love it. Anyways....bout 100 yards down the structure, my brother nails a nice 43"er. It is dark now, so we figured we would go back and try the spot where the 45 showed herself. Got over there and bout 10 casts in, Lund95 nails a nice fat 49. I will post some pics when they get downloaded from the camera. Last fish we saw for the night, but great way to end it. Not a bad night for only 4 1/2 hours of fishing!!! grin

Bret, what is the new way of working the HH? I fast hop it and it is already erratic as heck. I can always use another trick up my sleeve.

Awesome night!! I can't wait to see lund95 with the big girl!

Congrats to all in the boat and Adam in particular! Hey Bret, guess you learned a little about guiding from the boys up at Op Muskie, eh??

Sounds like a good night indeed, congrats. I'd also be interested in the Hound info, I love that bait.

Quote:
I'd also be interested in the Hound info, I love that bait.

You don't need any help....you and the boys have been doing quite well south of the border! grin

Here's to a good Fall for you and the crew down in Iowa!

Prolly not new to you guys, but was new to us. When the bait hits the water, I work it normal, just long enought to get the line tight. THEN CRANK ON IT!!! When I say that, do it. Snap that thing as hard as you can three times, then stop and let the bait flutter down. Then do it again. The bait will go about 18 different directions, roll, flop, dart, etc. But it always seems that the third pull shoots the bait upwards towards the surface. That is when the fish come! Or while it is fluttering back down. Most eratic action I have seen in a jerk bait and it works. Got my 7 year old doing it now and he thinks it is "awesome"! I know Pearson does this as this throwback lure after raising a big girl.

The Hellhound technique is definitely new to me and I'll be SURE to try that out next time I use it... Hurry up with the pics already!!!

Nice fish! Congrats to Lund95 and your bro. Were you the guide on this trip Bret?

Naw......I wish I could at least claim that!!! Missed my two fish earlier that night! After that, I was just a bystander!

Awesome!

Standfuss is kicking my butt this year! Hey Bret, that release pic should be the main and front page image for Op Muskie '09! Sweet pic!

Don't worry CJAC, he is kicking my butt as well.

The new Operation Muskie webpage should be out within two weeks and the pic on the front is SWEET!!! A picture not often seen.......Doug Johnson netting a veterans fish. Everyone will love it. I will let ya know the addy when i get done building it.

Let me know for sure!

I'm out tomorrow AM to see if I can't make a little ground back on Adam....

Quite honestly, the release pic with the fish positioned like it is, dark yet still well lit, and the big smile.....one of best release pics I've seen.

That release pic is awesome, as Chris said, one of the best I have ever seen. Looks like a great time on the water. Congrats on the nice fish guys.

Nice work boys! I love the release pix. The nighttiem photos are always awesome!!

Man o' man. Nice fish guys.......Sounds like a great weekend! Looks like I better get off the river and start chasing the toothy critters.