Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasineyes

Who got a 5.8% Raise

19 posts in this topic

One of my commissioners in Scott county assumed that with the high fuel costs, food cost etc.. that it is reasonable to increase the county budget by 5.8% because he feels those are the kinds of increases we in the private sector are getting to help cover these increases. I'm curious...who out there got more than a 4% raise this year? 3.5% for me personally.

The thing is, most taxes are based on percentages of something and therefore if personal income is increased so too is tax revenue. That's why I so much abhore the idea of increasing tax rates or adding new taxes. If the government wants to increase its budget, all it has to do is increase the economic growth and it happens automatically.

That's why governor Ventura had such a nice surplus to work with. Minnesota's economic climate was very good and so the state revenue reflected that.

Bob

I'm curious...who out there got more than a 4% raise this year? 3.5% for me personally.

I see a big difference here.

I'll start off with the assumption I'm making; I assume you work for a private enterprise and therefore your raise was based on performance. It sounds to me as though this commissioner is asking for a 5.8% cost of living raise, which is not related to performance.

Where I work, we do not receive cost of living raises, we receive raises only if we've earned them.

A foreign concept to those who are paid out of the tax pile and not based on a companies ROI.

Depending on where you work, they may have a cap on what can be given as a raise. You will certainly see that in a union environment and even where I work we have a 4% cap on raises. I would think we are not that unique. So you may be an absolutely sterling employee and still only get a 3 or 4% raise.

Depending on where you work, they may have a cap on what can be given as a raise. You will certainly see that in a union environment and even where I work we have a 4% cap on raises. I would think we are not that unique. So you may be an absolutely sterling employee and still only get a 3 or 4% raise.

This is pretty much how my employer works. They have to average 3% to all employees. So you can be told that you basically can get no better at your job but you are getting a 3% just so Suzy can get the same.

I worked my rear off for two years...got 2% one year and 0% the next.

So, now I don't work my rear off anymore.

Last year I got a 4% raise. Go figure.

I got 120%!! but thats because of a promotion, not because of the economy.

Maybe you're more valuable if you just stay out of the way and don't do anything? grin

Bob

I've heard the price increase of fuel and food are not included in determining the Consumer Price Index. If it's true, why not? It seems all consumer goods should should be included.

Sounds like you have it figgured out Hammer! grin

CORE Inflation does NOT Include food and Energy.

I guess the EXperts think we dont need to eat to survive..???

Core Inflation (roughly 2.2%) added with the rising cost of

Food and energy is roughly 5.0%.

So, if you got anything less than 5.0% you effectively went Backwards!

I got a boot to the scrott for the past 5 years, I remember having money left over at the end of a work week, man that was nice, but hard to remember back 8 years when they have me in short term memory mode doing daily crisis management for survival.

Gave money back 3 years ago, boy that was nice, but they needed new cars, boats, 9000 sq ft houses on a lake and twin engine airplanes, we were being ridiculous asking for a buck.

2% this year.

2% next.

"The great enemy of the Truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived, and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and realistic".

I took a pay cut in 2007/08 by quitting my 9-5 and going out on my own.

It's working out OK so far, though I have my worries over the coming winter. Since I'm below the median for pricing in my field, and because demand keeps increasing, I'll be raising my rates 10 percent for 2009 bookings.

I guess I'll see if that kills my market.

After spending long years as both a line animal and a management puke, I am both The Man and The Employee now. I don't know whether I'm giving or getting the shaft. Try that headbender on for size! gringrin

10% bonus; 3 % raise

You must be a lawyer grin

I didn't get nothing this year due to the economy (so they say). My bonus comes from my other job wink