• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass lakes in the Metro

mngirl

Depends on what you consider the Metro... If your talking actual city lakes... I would say Calhoun or Harriet. Both great bass lakes especially if you are in a boat away from other anglers. If your talking the 7 co area... Then it would depend if your looking for numbers or size?... Tonka, Waconia, Chisago, Prior, Medicine, Turtle...And a tons more... I am interested to see what people say too.. but I would be willing to bet many keep their fave to themselves...

I am a bit biased.. I will say that my fave is any lake in the Chisago chain... all great bass lakes.

I am a bit biased.. I will say that my fave is any lake in the Chisago chain... all great bass lakes.

Agree 100% there bud. I know em pretty well and fish em a lot. Waconia and Tonka are up there on the list as well. There are a lot of really good lakes in the metro area that can kick out quite a few bass. If you aren't affraid of a little current, Pool 2 of the 'Sippi can be awesome for some monster smallies.

I'd have to agree on the Waconia nomination but personally there are a few lakes in eastern and central Wright county that are my personal favorites. But again, anytime you toss a line into Waconia you have a legit shot at a 6 + pound fish... Not many lakes could offer that chance.

When "on" Prior lake can put out an incredible average size fish. A few years ago it took 8 bass for close to 40 pounds to win out there and 32 pounds plus just to cash a check. Granted that was the peak and has not been that good since, but it will get there again.

As far as just going out and catching a bunch of fish, lakes like Turtle and Demont can be great as they are catch and release.

If you held a gun to my head and said go catch a 6# fish I would have to go to Minnetonka.

As far as just going out and catching a bunch of fish, lakes like Turtle and Demont can be great as they are catch and release.

I'd agree. The catch and release lakes are a lot of fun, especially if your outings are limited. It's pretty tough not to catch something.

I think my fav lake in the metro would have to be Tonka just because it is like putting your boat in once, and getting to fish a variety of different types of lakes. Others on my list would have to be Medicine, Mississippi and Rum Rivers, Independence, and a whole bunch of lakes out west of the metro.

BPA I grew up fishing Calhoun. It was my home lake.. fished out of an inflateable boat with a t-moter. If fishing from shore it can be good. If fishing from a boat it can be great. There is a very nice bar out from the bridge that can be very good. IT somewhat extends to the S/W. If I remember.

BPA- dude, its been so long... It really depends on what I can cast to.. I think one of the best shore fishing lures is something like a beatle spin or a mepps spinner... But keep in mind, I dont shore fish much. I feel you have much better odds from a boat or something else..

I grew up only about a mile from Calhoun. Right off of Lake Street and Lyndale if anyone cares.. I had a paper rout and bought my first belly boat at about age 12.. and fished Harriet, Calhoun, and Isles, for the most part.. I saved my money and bought a Colman Crawdad and a t-moter about 2 years later.. I learned a ton in that time when you had to fish an area for a long time because it took so long to get to another. The city lakes have great fishing, parking is horrible... you need a 2 person team, one in the boat the other parking.. and cell phones.. so you know where the person found parking...

All the city lakes including cedar have great structure... points sunken islands, ect..

To go back to the orig question.. when shore fishing, I am usually looking for active fish.. Hence the spinners. I like to use small spinners to help smaller fish.. I'm one who woudl rather catch 20 smaller fish than 1 big fish. USUALLY!

I usually catch them in 5-7 ft of water, so not very deep. My dad's neighbor up north on Shamineau has a bunch of nice sized ones around his dock. Went up there in May with my ex and we caught a bunch at least 2 lb or heavier then a muskie, at least 40 in, scared them away frown.