• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heading up to Minaki this weekend!

JDM_88

Hi Everyone,

I posted this question in the Canada forum also, but thought I would give it a try here to.

Heading up to the Minaki area this weekend and primarily focusing on muskie, but will mix in a little walleye fishing as well. Will be fishing Big and Little Sand and some of the connecting lakes. I am really excited about the trip, but have never been to Canada chasing muskies before!

Anyone been up in this area lately (or in the past) that has a report they would like to share? Not looking for specific spots but more for general areas that I should keep my eye out for (weeds/rocks/transition areas ect.) What depths should I key on and what presentations typically work best this time of year up there.

Also, does anybody know when turnover typically takes place up in this area.

Feel free to email me if you would like.

[email protected]

I will post a report when I get back.

Thanks all,

Josh:

Don't know anything bout Minaki, but if you post over on Muskies first, there is a ton of guys that fish that area, mostly Wabigoon, that could probably give you some really good advice/pointers.

I was up there the last week of july this year which was I think my 5th trip up to minaki. Lots of good water with BIG skis. I really struggled to find numbers of bigger fish when I was up there in july but they are definately there. Make sure you get the canadian hydrographic map Minaki To Whitedog dam. I can't remember the # off hand but that map is a must for finding structures and safely navigating during your first trip. Thornes is where I got mine not sure where else they are available.

I'll second muskybrian's advice about fishing the bouys. They mark prominent structures located near the main channels. In my experience the vast majority of the big fish will be located near the main channels. I was up there for a week in early september 3 years ago and I don't think I saw when I wandered away from the main channel. Don't be afraid to take your time and pick apart the structures up there. Those spots on the shield can be big and complicated. As far as weeds vs rocks fish both and let the fish tell you where to spend the majority of the time.

Which resort are you staying at? I wouldn't even worry about turnover. The water in the main river channel was like 68.5 the first part of august and barely over 70 away from the channel. Probably not a real strong thermocline up there this year. Antother good place for info is walleye central. Do a few searches and you will find all kinds of info. SOme pretty generous minaki fans over there.

You could try calling anglers pro shop in Nestor Falls. If your crossing at IF or Baudette it is right on the way. They say they carry lake maps on their HSOforum. I think sioux narrows has a bait shop as well. Kenora had a few pretty good places as well although I haven't been there in a few years and don't remember names and locations.

Maybe reeds in walker?