• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sorry to bring this up again. I am not sure how to look back and find previous discussions about it.

As I recall some guys say it is great.

I am trying to decide if I should buy a few boxes for late season mallards.

Thanks,

tweed

Black Cloud really does a number on the birds. Creates some of the biggest holes I've ever seen. But then again, it is by far the dirtiest shot I've ever fired. Really makes the guts of my gun dirty.

Still, I wouldn't hesitate buying some. It's a good shot to use.

Disgusting to blow birds to pieces. I don't see the sport in it. And for the price, hardly what I'm looking for. If you can't pull the birds in a little closer, I'd take up another hobby, their is no reason to shoot birds "flying over head" not into the decoys.

Simply uncalled for if you ask me.

Quote:
If you can't pull the birds in a little closer, I'd take up another hobby, their is no reason to shoot birds "flying over head" not into the decoys.

well sometimes birds dont want in or people cant find a good place to decoy birds or not get permission for a good spot... So its called pass shooting and it is not a bad thing to do. I have shot blackcloud and have been pleased with it...but usually I'm shooting estate.

Quote:
Disgusting to blow birds to pieces. I don't see the sport in it. And for the price, hardly what I'm looking for. If you can't pull the birds in a little closer, I'd take up another hobby, their is no reason to shoot birds "flying over head" not into the decoys.

Simply uncalled for if you ask me.

Blow birds to pieces?? I don't think anyone said the were using a punt gun! You must get them so close they land in your boat and you don't even have to waste a shell. As for black cloud, I think it's great if you want to spend that much, I seen first hand what it does on mallards late in the year. I have also seen what it does to geese at 70 yards pass shooting. Great knockdown power.

they should rename the product "Skybuster Enabler"

Eyepatrol, you said:

"Black Cloud really does a number on the birds. Creates some of the biggest holes I've ever seen."

then you said:

"Still, I wouldn't hesitate buying some. It's a good shot to use."

So, from your post I can deduce a couple things...

1) you enjoy eating duck/goose meat that is blown apart and full of feathers

OR, you don't bother eating the birds you shoot

2) You struggle to decoy birds in close (hence the need for black cloud)

Geez, I'm not sure how you got that interpretation from what I wrote, but I certainly didn't intend for it to come off that way.

I simply was trying to say that a few birds I shot with Black Cloud last year had some good sized holes in them. I think the bigger holes were a result of that "wing" on some of the bb's in the Black Cloud. When those bb's spin and enter a bird, they cut a bigger hole than what I've seen with standard steel shot. By no means were the birds I got "blown apart" or even shot up that bad, but there were a few that had some sizeable holes in the breast.

I certainly enjoy eating geese and ducks. As I mentioned, they don't get blown apart, but at times there are feathers that get embeded into the bb holes. That happens from time to time regardless of the shot I use....whether it's Black Cloud or the standard Winchester loads that I also use. All I do is just pull the feathers out of the meat when I clean the breasts. I certainly do not waste the birds that I shoot. They all end up on the dinner plate.

And I think any hunter knows that on some days, it can be difficult to draw birds into the decoys. However it's not a constant struggle. I certainly don't sky-bust the birds if that's what your 2) is implying.

I'm really not sure how you came up with that interpretation from what I wrote, but your responses are not on the mark with what I was trying to say. Last year was the first time I tried Black Cloud. I bought a couple boxes of it last year just to try it out and on a couple birds, the holes cut by the bb's were bigger than what I traditionally have seen with the standard Winchesters that I've used for years and years. Took me by surprise. And when I would clean my gun after shooting Black Cloud, I noticed that the inner parts and pieces of my gun were considerably more dirty than what I had seen using the Winchesters.

Black Cloud is a shot that works well IMO. It's more expensive and shoots dirtier than the Winchesters that I typically shoot. However those two reasons wouldn't keep me from recommending Black Cloud to someone.

Iam thinkin bout tryin it in the 3" #3 I have been shootin #3 shot since it came out just a different brand (kent) and havent had ne problems. just going to try it for something different just like eyepatrol

Brdhunter and Sartell- You guys are starting to sound like eliteists. Basically what your saying is if you dont decoy hunt you shouldent hunt, get off your high horse ok. Pass shooting can be very fun and productive. I have limited out many times on ducks and geese pass shooting. I will admit that I decoy hunt 90 percent of the time, and trust me I have absolutly no trouble geting birds in close, but sometimes Pass shooting can be more productive period. You dont have to skybust to pass shoot, and you can get some great pass shooting at birds 20-40 yards high, its called positioning. Sometimes with the gear you have decoy hunting isent an option where the majority of birds are located, so you must be an oppertunist and find an area where the birds are passing through within range. What about controlled area's where you can only pass shoot, people dont shoot birds in these area's?? From what Iv heard black cloud would be a great pass shooter's load, and I might have to pick up a box for those situations. Please dont bad mouth pass shooting, there is a right way too do it and a wrong way, just like decoy hunting. Trust me Iv seen plenty of guys skybust and ruin my hunts, but Iv seen just as many of those guys hunting over decoys as pass shooting.

it seems that I was unfair in my interpretation of your post, Eyepatrol--I should have given you the benefit of the doubt. Also, I've noticed the same thing with the unburnt powder in my barrel after shooting Remington shells. Last year I used about a half of a case of Federals and never experienced that issue with those shells.

I've pass shot before and found it to be fun...just think a lot of guys think that because they are pass shooting it is okay to skybust. There are probably enough guys who use Black Cloud as a 3rd shot, just to reach out and touch the birds as they are backpedaling trying to get out of range. Sorry for sounding like an elitist--I understand that pass shooting is the norm for a lot of folks and I'm alright with that.

I've shot a few boxes of it, does it really give me any extra range, nothing noticable, but that could be a lack of shooting skills on my part...

What I did notice was that on birds hit elseware than the head, or marginally hit birds, they were more likely to fall dead or severly crippled. It isn't a gimick shell by any means, it serves it's purpose, killing ducks and geese, well. But like said it is not a magic shell that will add 10 yds to your effective range. To do that you will need to spend lots of time on the range shooting long crossing shots, shoot a larger shot size than you normally do, and most likely look into some premium "heavier than lead" shells.

Eye patrol, from one of your other post i dont think a "true

hunter" would blow a bird to pieces one day and and say its

bad and then when no one is looking do it again? A true hunter

wouldn't do this type a thing. Thats what i learned from another post you thru out there. I guess opinions do vary,

and yours does from day to day. Sorry couldn't resist.

Roosterslayer, if you read many of the post on certain area' or

ways of hunting there are plenty "we do it the right way and

everyone else is an idoit for the way they do" hate those posts, i like your post, plane and get to the point without

soapboxing your way hunting to everyone.

southwest....I'm not sure where you're dreaming this stuff up, but I never in any post said that this black cloud blows birds to pieces! You are getting my posts all mixed up in your head. Either that, or you're not reading them thoroughly.

Try and get your facts straight first, then come back to me. You're obviously not reading my posts thoroughly.

And oh by the way, I never mentioned anything about blowing birds away or to pieces in my "true hunter" post. Just more info you dreamed up in your head in an attempt to distort the truth.

Nice try though. smirk

One way to look at Black Cloud is this; since it leaves bigger holes in birds with a smaller shot size, (due to the "wings" on some of the pellets) You can shoot a smaller shot, say #4 instead of #2 and the pellets will do equal damage on the bird. But the #4 BC will have a higher pattern density, resulting in cleaner kills.

If you want to shoot it, go for it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it, and if you have don't base your opinions on an isolated incident where a poor old teal got way to close and ended up as feathers.....

we could beat this dead horse subject all night n day and still have a argument over who likes n dislikes BC. I for 1 like it n dont care who doesnt and how much it costs etc etc if ya dont like it fine dont buy it,if ya do well keep on keepin on. btw nicely said Riverrat

Tweed, ya gotta realize that quite a few of the "experts" on this forum are still wet behind the ears. BC works well in my guns. Kills birds at ranges longer than I will shoot with normal Federal steel. Pattern it in your gun to make sure it works. I have read that it will not pattern well through some chokes.

Not sure what you mean by "experts", but I'm certainly not one of them since I've only shot a couple boxes of BC out of my gun.

Regardless, I completely agree with what you said. Pattern it in your gun and see if/what works.

From what I've read, BC holds a tight pattern at closer ranges. Very tight pattern in fact. Might be better for those 2nd and 3rd shells, but I'd still go with Hevi Shot for the 2nd and/or 3rd Shells. BC is still a steel shot, regardless of how it is shaped or formed.

With all that being said, I'm still buying a few boxes of BC this year.

I have heard you can actually step down a couple #'s all you need is 3's maybe 2's that stuff dont need to be big like most other shotshells out thier. had a BC in the second shot on a loner today and I could see the feathers go poof at 40 yards and that was a duece! would hate to see what bb's and bigger would do.