• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pistol Scopes

Red Miller

Hey all,

I want to put a 2Xx32mm scope on my Ruger .44mag Vaquero. I have a BSA Red dot on there now thats getting nixed. I know Leupold has a great solution but its $500....aaahhh! Nikon has a nice one for $300...still choking!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 2x scope with a large objective lense that wont cost as much as my whole hunting trip and can still take the pounding of a .44mag?

Thanks all....

Plan a more expensive trip and you could justify about any scope you want grin.

I had a Burris 3X9X32 posi-loc on a 44mag for years and put more than 500 rounds of 300 grain max loads and quite a few more lighter loads through that combo with no problems with the scope or gun. The scope bases were something else till i got a B-Square mount. If you had a Ruger Redhawk the factory bases and rings would be good to go. With the Vaquaro, pick up some good bases and rings. Plan on spending at least another $100.

I now have a 2X6 Bushnell Elite 3200 on that gun, same B-Square mount. Most variable scopes change the amount of eye relief as you change the magnification. The Elite stays a constant 20 inches. I really like being able to crank up the magnification and still have the gun 20 inches from my eye.

Both the Burris and the Bushnell will run just under $300 But think of it this way, Your gonna have the gun long after the trip and if you keep it for five years that is only $60 a year for a nice scope. whistle.

I bought a used nikon pistol scope last year on hsolist for $130 it a 2.5-8. Nikon has a lifetime warranty, so if you get a bad scope you can send it back to nikon, but my was fine. Also I had a TC pistol on a encore 308 and it was a great scope, but I droped it 20 feet out a tree(why I had to get the nikon). I have a couple friends use the Bushnell Elite. I love the elite pistol scopes I highly recommended them. They are under $300 and have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks guys. I actually ended up buying a Nikon on hsolist and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Its a Nikon 6567 2.5-8x28 Monarch EER (new in the box for $210). It has 28mm eyepiece but Im hoping that should enough.

The reason I am replacing the red dot is because it cost me deer last fall. It was low light condition and the tint on the lense was just enough to keep me from acquiring the target. I shot 4 times at that critter at 40 yards and it just laughed and ran way. Yes I felt pretty stupid. I dont normally need more than one shot. Anyway thanks again!! (and good hunting!)