Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Ralph Wiggum

1990 Evinrude

I'm looking at a boat tonight with a 1990 Evinrude 60HP on it. I know VROs have caused their share of problems. Anything in particular to check out? Is a VRO a definite strike against this boat? I'm also looking at a couple of boat with Merc/Mariners on them. Is that a much better option?

In the early 90's I would say that I'd be a little more leary about the VRO, that coupled with a 3 cylinder OMC 60-70 hp motor I would really shy away - OMC had issues with overheating the 60 and 70 hp motors in this era. A service bulletin was issued to move the water hose to a different location on the block, but not all motors got this, or got it in time to prevent damage.

I would at a minimum have it compression tested or leak tested.

I would feel beter about the Merc's, Mariners and Yamaha's in this time period... all 3 of those brands are pretty bulletproof in this hp class.

marine_man

That's too bad because this was a very nice boat and the motor looked immaculate. I'm leary of it, though. Got a line on a similar boat with a '92 Merc 60 on it. Sounds like a safer bet.

Yeah, if you are passing on a super deal because of what might possibly happen, you might want to rethink.

I wish I knew then what I knew now when I bought my 70 hp OMC.

I ended up having to rebuild that one. mad

If you move that cooling hose per the mfg recommendations and disconnect the VRO/premix, you should get a lot of life out of that motor. Of course that is based upon good compression now.

Wasn't a killer deal, but it was nice. Lots of boats out there. That one is still on the list, but there's more to see smile Going to see another one this weekend that looks like a better deal, plus it's got a Merc (which I am partial to anyways).

Over Labor Day, my wife said, "Why don't you buy a boat?"

I figured with the wedding, a truck purchase, and a dog purchase, there was no way I was getting a boat for at least a year. Needless to say, I was elated. It is a good time to buy a boat! smile

I'm serious when I say this, take advantage and embrace this moment. They might be few and far between 10 years later.

Just kidding Honey whistlegrin

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum

I'm serious when I say this, take advantage and embrace this moment. They might be few and far between 10 years later.

Just kidding Honey whistlegrin

Isn't is awesome when a woman says the 3 words every man loves to hear.........."Buy a boat."

I'll share my very personal experience with the 3 cyl OMC outboard you are looking at. A service bulliten did come out on these, as MM said. Apparently they were overheating. The cause of this was the design of the water jacket. The upper cylinder, and in come cases (mine) the middle cylinder also were overheating due to air in teh water jacket. OMC came up with a change that moves the pee hole outlet from the lower part of the water jacket housing, to the top of the block. This change vents out the air. Simple fix to a big problem.

VRO pumps have been blamed for a lot of problems. I'm not expert enough to be able to verify this.

My 3 cylinder OMC overheated the upper and middle cylinder. I overhauled teh powerhead and it was NOT cheap, and I did the work myself. Turns out, the previous owner removed the thermostat in an attempt to reduce overheating, and the motor did NOT have the pee hole outlet change.

After I overhauled the powerhead, following Marine_Mans advice, I took it into a local dealer for the cooling outlet change. Costed me like 30 bucks. I also disconnected the oil inlet for the VRO and I now pre-mix my gas. With the overhaul I installed a new thermostat.

Having said all this, I now have a 87, 70 HP Johnson that starts well, runs GREAT, and goes like a bat out of you know where. I've been told these are good motors, and I've been told these motors suck. My motor, now, runs real strong and I like it.

At a very minimum I would do a compression check on this puppy. If the middle and especially the upper cylinder are low, I would not even think about it, especially if the coolant outlet mod has not been installed. If all 3 cylinders are even, and above 100 psi, and the coolant outlet mod is installed, I myself would think about it, but if purchased I'd disconnect the VRO and pre-mix my gas just for peace of mind.

This is just me, however.

As stated earlier, if you have the blessing of the Mrs, GO GET SOMETHING!!!!! It may be years before deals like these come again, if ever.

Good luck!!!!

Again, guys, thanks for all the advice. I purchase a boat this weekend (YAY!) with a '92 Merc 60 horse on it. Ran it for a while and checked the compression--dead even on all cylinders.

Picture052.jpg