• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

centerfire 22 cal

oilguy

Sounds kinda stupid to me.. theres gonna be alot of wounded deer running around. I know i've already heard of a few people that are planning to use their AR-15 for deer hunting this year. I know that this gun is capable of killing a deer, but i just dont think it has the knockdown power...

Probably something similar to the new bow regulation of 30# of draw. Just trying to help get gets and women into the sport with a weapon with less recoil. The bad thing is people are going to be using their coyote guns with the 30 round clip....

I'm with you guys on this, the main thing is people/hunters in general need to remember is that the shell needs to be CENTERFIRE (keyword there) not RIMFIRE. Sounds like MN copied most states rules for Deer hunting in opionion, the new law here are actually in most states already.

I agree though, if MN wants to get rid of more deer this will do it, but lost more wounded ones and non-recovered deer.

As a young man in ND in the early 1940s, my dad bought a .22 Hornet. That was the only gun he ever used for deer. He never lost wounded ones. Personally, I would not use it, since I prefer my .270. If you're planning to bang away at a running deer 200 yards out, it's not the right gun. I may let my son use it next year when he is 12 because of the recoil issue (it has none). I have no doubt that with proper shot placement, it would be deadly on anything he would be shooting at.

I run more rounds through my .223's in one week than most people shoot their "deer rifles" all year. Just because they are capable of taking praire dogs at 400 or 500 yards dosen't mean i am going to take a shot at a deer at that distance. I'm sure somebody will try it, but the are the same people who will try it with any gun. A bad shot is a bad shot. I don't care if you are using a .22 or a .458 win mag. It's funny all states around us allow .22 centerfire but i never hear about the huge amount of wounded and lost deer.

I can say this...

This law change will make it easyer for me to buy an AR 15 heavy yote gun. I need to justify most purchases and haveing a dedicated predator gun just was not working. Head shots on does would be mighty easy with the right set up of skope and gun.......

double treble what is the smallest legal caliber?

i thought 243 was small enough for a hunter with a smaller body size. my little brother weighed 85 pounds at the age of 14 when he shot his first deer with a 270.

leaves me wondering why the smaller caliber too. im not saying the smaller caliber wont do it. i think its the shooter more than the gun. if flinching is a problem i think they need to do more shooting.

It was a law passed by the legislature. They had wrote numerous exemptions to the old standard including the .30 carbine. If you look at the ballistic charts the .30 carbine is pitiful even next to the .22 centerfires. If I remember some of my Korean War history right, they were having a tough time killing the enemy in their heavy winter clothes with the .30 carbine. I guess this leaves it in the hands of hunters to choose the right load/bullet and use our own common sense. I don't have any ballistic tables with me now or I would show a comparision.

I believe they did this to make the reg easier?? Also to align us with our surrounding states.

The only problem I have with it is the ammo for the .223. With the lead frags in meat thing going on it dosent seem like a good idea. Shooting a Nosler Ballistic tip into a deer must leave a HUGE amount of lead behind.

Caliber-wise, .22. You can't go any smaller than that, but it also has to have at least 1000 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. I think a 222 Rem might be cutting it close, that might be the smallest legal rifle here.

I'm not in favor at all of allowing rifler calibers like a 223 or a 220 or 22-250 as a deer rifle. Yes they are accurate and one better be. A very small bullet.

My father stopped letting anyone hunt on his land if they hunt with any of the above three rifles as there were too many wounded animals when he allowed it.

I think as a whole EVERYONE needs to get out and shoot their deer rifles more. I was out yesterday and shoot 80 rounds through my 308 (which by the way is a AR) I know without a doubt in my mind I could hit a deer at a 300 yards without any trouble.

Note form admin,please read forum policy before posting again,thank-you.