Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish&Fowl

dog's first goose

6 posts in this topic

Got the dog his first goose Monday afternoon. Pretty proud of him, this is his first hunting season and he's catching on quick.

006.jpg

It may not be his first geese, but it was a blast watching him retrieve all of our birds...

DSCF1017.jpg

And I got my first bling-bling!!!! cool

DSCF1020.jpg

Congrats guys on your dogs' first hunts. My pup will be ready for her first goose by next fall. Nice jewelry Morneausy!

any tips on how to train your dog to retreaving the geese? I have a 9 week old yellow lab (scout, only fitting) just a little worried on the size of the bird and getting her use to it when shes older

My dog's first experience with a goose was a couple days before the picture above was taken. It swam into the decoys and I didn't see it until it was real close. I jumped it up and shot it, and it flew a long way and then dropped.

The dog didn't see any of it, so after I went and got it with the boat and afterwards I threw it as far as I could and let him get it. He then had the smell and size of the bird but didn't have the weight because he was in the water. It will take time to get a dog used to the size, but it shouldn't be a big deal.