Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcary

My new favorite spot! (7 images)

14 posts in this topic

I just found what may soon become my favorite wildlife photo spot. I'll share a few from this past weekend. All shots but the first are with the Canon 40D and 100-400L and the first scene was with the Rebel XT and 17-40L. My apologies for the high number of shots.

mg7392ac9.jpg

mg9040jz4.jpg

mg9145il9.jpg

mg9159ly6.jpg

mg9166kw7.jpg

mg9232bn2.jpg

mg9250gr9.jpg

Jesus, Mike, you are REALLY making me miss the prairie. Lots of choice images here. And please, never post that many again. Right! Joke!

Of them all, I have to say I like the final image of the pellies against the sky. I've watched white pelicans for nearly 40 years, and of all their behavior I have to say I most enjoy the way they wheel and soar into the sky. The female harrier is a great comp and a very close second to the pellies. Had she been facing you, she'd have won hands down.

Sweet work!

Very nice! I like both the BIF pelicans, but the field with the hay bales has some charm as well!

Beautiful selection of shots! The hay bales shot and the last two are wonderful. Perfect exposure and nice composition on them all.

Don't ever apologize for posting this many again, especially when they're this good. What are the coordinates of this spot? You know me, miles mean nothing. wink

The last shot is my favorite. We get pelicans circling overhead all the time here, but not close enough to get the good shots. Nicely done!

Looks like you found a great spot! Nice shots. I like the first and third best, but they are all winners.

The one that stands out head and shoulders above the rest for me anyways, is the hay bales... the comp is perfect in all ways! A nice series, Mike! Looks a bit like Aggaziz maybe?

I also really like the hay bales. The combination of the different lines and textures give it a great feel. I also like the pelicans on the stumps but would like it better on a sunny day.

Those are fantastic shots. I really do like all of them.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike, I came back to look at the picture of the hay bale image that I liked and noticed that it would benefit from a slight CCW rotation. Just some friendly cc. grin What are your thoughts?

Buzz,

I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the input.

I gave it a .75 degree CCW rotation and slight crop off the top. Here's the result:

mg9145copyhg0.jpg

It looks nice, Mike. So did the original.

While our eyes seem to crave 90-degree angles and level horizons, what I don't know is if the horizon was level or not to begin with. Many land/sky horizons are not. If the hilltop ran off into the distance at an angle or was parallel to your sensor but sloping up/down, it would not have been level in the original scene.

And none of the three "horizons" here, either the land/sky horizon or the two secondary horizons in the stubble field, are parallel. So, which should be made level and which should not?

Not trying to cause trouble, just supplying a different perspective. smilesmile