• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 150 4-stroke oil change

baitcaster

There should be a plate on your motor that will tell you what weight oil to use (10w-30 or 10w-40). You want an oil with an additive package made for marine use, and that isn't auto oil. I use Amsoil but there are many other good ones out there.

I know a lot of people are using AMSOIL (and many other brands) of auto motor oils in their 4-stroke marine engines, but you are not getting the protection you need.

There really is a lot of difference in a marine NMMA FC-W approved motor oil. The way marine engines rev up is much faster and harsher than automotive engines, there are very different potential foaming problems as well as rust and corrosion protection requirements. The additive package in a marine 4-stroke oil are very different!

The AMSOIL Marine oils: AMSOIL 10W-40 Marine FC-W Engine Oil and AMSOIL 10W-30 Marine FC-W Engine Oil

Oil filters? The AMSOIL EaOM103 is for Yamaha 4-stroke marine engines up through 115 hp (same as many Yamaha MotorCycles and other PowerSports engine). I have no listing or information about any above the 115 hp.

I was running the 10-30 but went to the 10-40 because I seemed to be using up oil some how. With the 10-40 everything is fine.

Oilman have you heard of this at all with these motors and Amsoil? Im the second person I know with that motor that had to go from the 30 to 40 for that reason.

I haven't heard much about 30 vs 40 and oil consumption, but I am not surprised - as high reving and hard working as these little engines are (for the horse power produced they really are a small package).

Most all engines if using oil on the current viscosity going up 1 step will frequently reduce or eliminate oil consumption. However, never go up 2 steps unless you have a severly worn out engine. For example a GM calling for 5W-30 or 10W-30 going up to a 10W-40 or 15W-40 won't be a big problem (many fleets use 15W-40 in all engines gas and diesel in order to use a single oil), but don't go to 20W-50. The GM owner's manuals on gasoline engines say 5W-30, 10W-30 or 0W-30 are preferred; then go on to say don't use 20W-50 (which by not saying anything permit 15W-40, but it's not the 'preferred', but you won't void warranties with it).

I know we are off the subject a little bit but I have used amsoil 0-30 in my GM 6.0 L starting at 245 miles and now have almost 50,000. I change oil aprox. every 7000 miles and I can honestly say I do not use 1 tablespoon of oil in that time. I use this vehicle mostly in the winter and it ALWAYS starts right up no matter how cold and I am talking -40. I am sold on the 0-30.