• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel line pressure

Question

The fuel to my little 8 hp Merc is getting blocked somewhere and I can't figure it out. The bulb on the fuel line from the tank will gradually get soft, indicating lack of fuel to the bulb -- therefore, I hand pump the bulb to get pressure back up. However, I don't much like to pump the bulb every few minutes while trying to run the motor. Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

Take a look around the line and see if there is air getting in where the line meets the fuel tank. maybe that the coupler that attaches to the motor is wobbled out.

Clayton,

Two things I would check right first would be:

1. Do you have a pinhole leak somewhere in the line?

2. Check the connections on each end. One could be loose or possible cracked thus allowing your pressure to leak out.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

I've had fuel pumps go bad, same signs you are having. Pump the bulb to make it go...

Detach the fuel line on the "out" of the fuel pump and pull the motor over. If the gas doesn't spray out of the fuel pump with force, that could be the issue.

Hold the bulb at a vertical angle so that the arrow on the bulb faces upwards and pump it. Continue to hole it there for a couple minutes. Does the bulb still go soft?

If not, you have a bad check valve in the primer bulb.

Couplers at the motor are also notrious for creating a leak.

I doubt that a fuel pump would be the issue on this motor.

Good luck Clayton,

Kevin

All of the above are good suggestions. If none of those solutions wor, you will need to remove and examine the fuel pump, probably not too difficult. Most operate on differential crankcase pressure. They have a simple diaphragm, a gasket, and a couple of small check valves. If the previous suggestions don't work, remove the fuel pump and check for dirt or a blockage in the pump check vales, and then for a hole in the diaphragm. But a fuel pump kit, while you might possibly need one, is the last thing to try.