Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Foss

Women voters shifting from Obama to McCain

54 posts in this topic

abc news reports that, since McCain named Sarah Palin his running mate, white women are flocking to his side.

Before Palin's naming, white women favored Obama (50%) over McCain (41%). Since Palin was named, that's switched to McCain (53%) over Obama (42%). I'm no George Stephanopoulis, but that's a huge swing, and I suggested right away after she spoke at the RNC that Palin would pull female voters from the Obama/Biden camp and that the Repubs got a lot more mileage out of their VP pick than the Dems did, and both appear to be happening.

And now, today, Obama is directly challenging Palin's credentials publicly instead of having his VP candidate rebut McCain's VP candidate, which is a more traditional method of point-counterpoint.

These factors support the idea that Obama/Biden see Palin as a serious threat to their push for the White House and are going to become more aggressive in their tactics.

Hmmmmmm, advantage McCain/Palin. Next?

But who is he to challeng her credentials? He has no more, actually I feel less, experience the she does. He better tread lightly or those percentages to McCain are going to go up.

Yeah, OK, we can go back to the tired old debate we've already played out on this board for a week or two, Sandmannd, but should we?

Not trying to be a jerk-bait, but I'm interested in what folks think about this development and whether it will last.

I suspect it won't last.

Obama rec'd a similar "bump" in the polls coming out of the Democractic convention, which evaporated in the GOP "bump" after their own convention.

Ignore the polls around convention time - 2-3 weeks out the effects of both snotty love-fests will have come & gone & we'll know where the ignorant masses really stand. smile

Max, I'm in your camp by far the most often when it comes purely to liberal vs conservative policy, but a 20 point swing in this matter is remarkable, and cannot be attributed to the usual tired DNC/RNC poll bump after respective conventions.

Whether it will last, or how much of it might last, is a very good question, and in a close election could easily mean the difference.

Politics is like a game a chess. You can feel like you have the game locked at one moment and then your opponent makes a calculated move and it is a dead heat on who is going to win.

Via it be a calculated move on who someone chose as a running mate, a loud HEEEEYAAA, a bad photo of someone in a tank, or a five O clock shadow on national TV, popularity and how the general public views a candidate is pivotal in any election.

In the next 56 day, I am sure we will see ups and down on both sides. Something might occur next week that puts Obama back on top, then again (I am waiting) something might happen where McCain gains a ton of ground.

Should had Obama chose Hillary as his running mate to secure those votes, no one knows??

But, two weeks ago he was on top. Shoulda, woulda, coulda! It is what gets the democratic party every time. Why is that? grin

It has been rather amusing listening to the media downplay this recent shift in the polls, after they have been reporting poll numbers as though they are fact for the last six months.

Yeah, OK, we can go back to the tired old debate we've already played out on this board for a week or two, Sandmannd, but should we?

Not trying to be a jerk-bait, but I'm interested in what folks think about this development and whether it will last.

Will it last? No, polls go up and down. There's two months until the election, much can change. I do think those that crossed over are probably going to stay over. I still say he has to watch how much he gets on her experience.

stcatfish has a good point when he asks why Obama is directly challenging Palin's credentials. I wonder that myself.

I also wonder why there was so much comparison between the number of people who tuned into Obama's speech vs. Palin's speech. Shouldn't we be comparing Obama vs. McCain and Palin vs. Biden when it comes to those numbers?

Quote:
I'm interested in what folks think about this development

I think it's sad.

Bob

"You know, you can put lipstick on a pig," Obama said, "but it's still a pig."

Palin is a pig now. The Dems are doomed

Quote:
I'm interested in what folks think about this development

I think it's sad.

Bob

Why do you think it is sad?

Quote:

What is this, the Vikes 2008 season? laugh

It's sad that voters will change their position based on the gender of a candidate and not on their qualifications or position.

I'm voting for so and so because he's black, I'm voting for so and so because she's a woman, I'm voting for so and so because he's a woman or she's a guy or because so and so is "Christian" or hispanic.

So how does this make them the right person to fill the position. I'd like to think and hope that I wasn't hired for my job because I'm caucasion, German, or male but because I was qualified for the job that needed to be filled.

Bob

I'm voting for so and so because he's black, I'm voting for so and so because she's a woman, I'm voting for so and so because he's a woman or she's a guy or because so and so is "Christian" or hispanic.

Bob-

Your candidates seem to have some identity issues. shockedcrazygrin

Wondering who'd catch that. Chances are, it would get some votes and turn away others don't you think?

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Now I understand your point. Why didn't you say that in the first place?

BTW, I agree with you.

Fact is, however, many folks care more about candidates who look/talk like them than they do about issues.

I'm wondering if a black gay female city donkey could swing enough of the black, gay, female, city, and donkey vote to get elected. Or, put another way, if a white straight male country elephant could swing enough of the white, straight, male, country, and elephant vote to get the nod.

Or if the white straight male country elephant added a white straight female country elephant to his ticket, would that sway enough women from the black gay female city donkey party to gain the election?

I think that was McCains Plan with Palin as VP.Seems its working! Now on to some debates and see where it goes from there 56 -58 days? Could change a few times yet.I believe the Obama youngsters havent really been involved in too many polls,I'm wondering how that will affect the voting outlook.

$5 Million In 5 Hours: McCain In Obama's Chicago...

GALLUP: McCain opens 15-point lead among independents...

...Maintains 5-Point Head-to-Head Lead...

Leaps to 20-Point Lead in North Carolina...

From the AP:

"McCain has used the lipstick phrase, too.

Last year while criticizing health proposals from the Democratic presidential candidates, he said Hillary Rodham Clinton's resembled the failed plan she offered as first lady during the 1990s. 'I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig,' McCain said of her proposal."

I think in this case that refering to policy as a "pig" is much different than a VP candidate.

everyone knows that if you even hint at the lipstick thing who you are refering to now.

back to your post catfish:

The people that shifted in the poles where they really independants or undecided ? Or where they easily swayed by an energized speaker in the right atmosphere?

this maybe the classic case of bandwagon politics.

One thing is for sure people genuinly liked what they saw and heard. and those Ideals did strike a chord with voters.

this maybe the classic case of bandwagon politics.

One thing is for sure people genuinly liked what they saw and heard. and those Ideals did strike a chord with voters.

Well, which is it? Is it bandwagon politics or is it ideals that struck a chord with voters? You've presented them both as basically equal possibilities, but they are darned near mutually exclusive. So choose.