• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mountain bike grouse hunting

We've been using bikes for partridge hunting for many years, and you can really cover some ground doing so.

When the kids were little, the bikes were a Godsend, allowing us to get out have some fun far beyond what their little legs could have handled hiking.

What I did was to fasten a gun case off the front handlebars, so I could slide the gun in and out fairly quickly. The guns were unloaded, and a couple of shells in the pants pocket worked out great,.

Road hunting with an attitude. Both Jr. and Lil Ms. shot their first birds like this.

Just get the idea of being able to ride up on a grouse and get a shot off on a grouse from the bike out of your head.I don't want to be walking in the woods next to a trail that a loaded biker might be riding. Mount a scabbord and travel with an unloaded gun and have fun trying to sneak off the bike and load your gun before yelling "pull" at the skulking grouse. If it flushes wild you still have saved hours of walking and you legs will be fresh as you crash the brush for a chance at a second flush.

In our party we have a three "Pull" rule. We are allowed to pot a sitting grouse if and only if it is our first grouse of the day and only after we have yelled pull three times in order to flush it. Hans

Why do we try to devise ways to cover more ground out in the woods grouse hunting..........slow down...take it all in..enjoy the silence..take your time...focus on the cover..watch your dog...Isn't life too hectic to not wan't to get out there and slow down.. I know mine is... I'm not saying the tactic won't work or even bashing it...All I'm saying is life moves to fast... slow down and enjoy the hunt...Have a great season...uplander

I hear you Uplander there is nothing better than a slow walk in the late afternnon on a crisp fall day. The smells of the grouse woods alone are enought o send my senses into overload.--But, I also have a milkrun of good coverts and know most of the ground in between is devoid of birds. So I understand the urge to move from one good piece of cover to the next with the least amount of energy.

I have often watched a goshawk (with more than a hint of jealousy) on it's daily hunt soaring on locked wings and only shifting into preditor mode when over the most likely coverts.

A bike hunt might be like that. Hans

IMO you can legally carry a loaded shotgun while on a people propelled mountain bike. A mountain bike is not a motor vehicle. Were it a motor vehicle you can carry it uncased in most areas where you would be grouse hunting. See the statutes noted below:

2009 Minnesota Statutes

Minn. Stat. §169.011 DEFINITIONS.

Subd. 42.Motor vehicle."Motor vehicle" means every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires. Motor vehicle does not include an electric personal assistive mobility device or a vehicle moved solely by human power.

97B.045 TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS.

Subdivision 1.Restrictions.A person may not transport a firearm in a motor vehicle unless the firearm is:

(1) unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, and the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and without any portion of the firearm exposed;

(2) unloaded and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or

(3) a handgun carried in compliance with sections 624.714 and 624.715.

Subd. 3.Exceptions; hunting and shooting ranges.(a) Notwithstanding provisions to the contrary under this chapter, a person may transport an unloaded, uncased firearm, excluding a pistol as defined in paragraph (B), in a motor vehicle while at a shooting range, as defined under section 87A.01, subdivision 3, where the person has received permission from the lawful owner or possessor to discharge firearms; lawfully hunting on private or public land; or travelling to or from a site the person intends to hunt lawfully that day or has hunted lawfully that day, unless:

(1) within Anoka, Hennepin, or Ramsey County;

(2) within an area where the discharge of a firearm has been prohibited under section 471.633;

(3) within the boundaries of a home rule charter or statutory city with a population of 2,500 or more;

(4) on school grounds; or

(5) otherwise restricted under section 97A.091, 97B.081, or 97B.086.