• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Western States map chip available for Ifinder?

Tippman

Question

Going to Idaho elk hunting and wondering if/what chip is available for my Ifinder explorer for this? Topographical maps would be nice. I should know this but just haven't looked into it yet and figured I could rely on good ol FM for the answer. Thanks

4 answers to this question

you can get the topo maps for the whole country with the Mapcreate software. i think the software runs like 99 but you may be able to find it cheaper on sale. I have the Minnesota topo maprs loaded onto a 1gb card. The topos are only in 10 foot intervals though.

sorry cant really help you with that portion as i had a buddy buy the software and i gave him $10 and a 1gb card to load MN onto for me. thats the great thing aboot mapcreate is that you can register up to 5 different SD cards with it.

Mapcreate is a set of 6 CD's that contain detailed maps of the entire US. You download the entire thing into your computer and then you can select what area you want to detail on your computer. My Ifinder is about 3 years old so my info probably is outdated. However, I found that using a 1 gig MMC card allows me to download nearly the entire five state area into the GPS. I tried a 2 gig card and it didn't work. The level of detail is incredible. It also gives you all sorts of stuff about restaurants and motels and such.

Be sure to check and make sure that the GPS you have is compatible with the version of MapCreate that you get. Mine isn't with the latest maps so I have to be satisfied with older stuff. The software is protected so you have to go through a little hugga mugga to get it to work and download onto a chip.