Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NAMASafetyDirector

What ever happend to......

24 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I need to vent a little! What ever happened to good ol' customer service? Spent the day in Grand Forks on Saturday and had two terrible experiences with customer service, one of them being at the Ca---las store in East Grand! Wow has that place gone in the toilet! Stood around in the boating/electronics area for 20 minutes trying to find help and there was no one around! I even searched a couple other departments trying to find someone. Then went to the other side of town to Men--ds and same thing! Stood out back trying to find someone to help me find the items I needed to pick up and it looked like a Kansas wheat field! All it was missing was a tumbleweed blowing across the lot. Then when I finaly found the stuff I purchased there was one item they sold that was completely sold out in the rack! So..back inside I went and had to go to the customer service desk and get a refund then walk all the way out back! mad All in all a pretty big waste of time for the day! Sorry for the whining but I used to remember the days of customer service and people who actually gave a [PoorWordUsage] about the customer, seems like it's getting harder and harder to find anymore.....

Customer service went out when parents started raising a bunch of whiney crybabies that can't do anything themselves and expect the world to hand them everything!!

Not sure what your getting at Sandman, unless your implying that I am one of those people. Otherwise I agree!

Not at all. I'm saying the kids entering the work enviroment these days have had everything handed to them and have no clue what a work ethic is.

Customer service went out when parents started raising a bunch of whiney crybabies that can't do anything themselves and expect the world to hand them everything!!

You got that right. I went back to work at Dairy Queen about a month ago after working construction for the past 3 years so i work with alot of 15-17 year olds. All i can say is wow. These kids have no idea what a hard days work is. They whine about even the simplest tasks. Some of them show absolutly no respect for the customers and i just dont get where they get off thinking that this is ok? It is sad when you have to teach a 16 year old kid how to sweep, mop, and do dishes!

When I started in a Union shop(machine shop) in the late 70s their motto was an "Honest Days Pay For an Honest Days Work". You were expected to show up and perform the job you were hired to do. Somewhere between then and now that has gone out the window. Now the younger crowd's attitude is "I showed up, you expect me to work too?!!"

Lack of responsibilities growing up and having everything handed to them and not having to work for stuff as they are growing up is having a negative affect. Buying your kid a car, paying for gas and insurance, paying for the cell phone, etc it not helping them to grow up to be responsible hard working adults.

You guys sound like your parents. grin Those darn youth!

Target is the worst. That store was like a ghost town the other day. When I finally found someone they pionted me to the other side of the store and it was the wrong department. ugh.

Its not about age, its about intelligence.

The G.F. Menard's customer service was always questionable, good one day and bad the next, and I never saw one of those mid-teens workers there like you do at D.Q. and Mickey Ds. We used that store for years and years when we lived there, and have gone back a number of times when traveling back to G.F. to visit friends/rellies.

I haven't been in the EGF Cabela's for over a year, but frequented it (practically lived in the bargain cave). I'd always had great customer service. Not sure if you simply had an isolated bad experience or whether their C.S. has gone downhill. I've never seen mid-teen workers at that store, either.

So you had two bad experiences with customer service at separate stores on the same day, and that leads you to lament the downward spiral of customer service in general?

Come on now, NAMASafetyDirector. smilesmile

Illplay both sides here.

I used to work at Menards as a teen and saturdays were "hectic". non stop 12 hours trying to stock shelves and answer questions. If I Know Ill need help i try not to show up on a saturday to places.

on the other side Im now 31 and have just begun my "manager" spot in life.

I now understand every single boss I have ever had. They werent crabby, they were just tired, both physically and mentally. 50+ hr work weeks, constant abuse from customer and employees. within the last 1-2 years I have noticed a huge difference between my view on work and those under 25. when something needs to be done I just do it. It needs to happen and Im on the clock so why would I say no? All day I get "why/how about/what about/after I/ no/ why cant you and can I leave early" from all the "young" guys. I really dont remeber that as a teenager, but then again I was paying my own way.

I think part of it is the young person fighting "the man" and part of it is parents raising kids who are too soft. I grew up without an option of what to eat for dinner and was bought one pair of shoes and a weeks worth of clothes in the fall. by spring my pants were too short and my toes were poking out the front of my shoes. shorts in the summer? last years jeans are now cutoffs. Nike's and desinger jeans?? Nope Sears N Robuck.....

you need to provide for your kids, but provide just enough so they understand.

shizzy, I was raised just the same way. Your comments took me WAY back. Man, did I learn to hate Sears. gringrin

By contrast to the McDonald's and D.Q. deal, my first foray into the world of retail service was at 17, when I went to work selling men's clothing at Silverman's in Grand Forks. Now, that store was the definition of customer service, and Sam Silverman's teachings have stuck with me through many, many stints in management.

We can't simply malign a whole generation of teens and their upbringings based on selective bad experiences with customer service. Here in Ely, for example, tons of high school/VCC students are employed in customer service businesses (that's practically all Ely has for business), and bad experiences with them are uncommon.

I am somewhat part of the younger generation (mid 20s). I went to high school in a wealthy suburb although my family was not so. I started working when I was 12, bought and sold my first car before I was 15, then bought and rebuilt my dream car before I turned 16. I havent ever worked in customer service (except subway) as most of my jobs were manual labor. Most of the kids in my high school were spoiled never having worked a honest days work in their life and handed things on a daily basis. The sad part is that the majority of the kids I still talk to from high school are still working minimum wage jobs and living at home. In my opinion if you are raised with no expectation on work ethic it will never change.

I wonder how much of the downward spiral in not only just good customer service but in good work ethic is partly caused by the current labor situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I work for someone and they feel that I may not be performing up to par, it may not always be very easy to let me go with the fair labor standards that employers must follow. I've heard it said many times how difficult it can be to "get rid" of a poor quality employee at times.

Any thoughts?

Bob

Na Bob, you just have to leave a paper trail. Just right them up and document it and you can get rid of them.

Then it would seem reasonable to expect that if employers set a higher standard for their employees, the results would be an improvement?

Bob

Quote:
Not at all. I'm saying the kids entering the work enviroment these days have had everything handed to them and have no clue what a work ethic is.

Sandman, you're not posting from work are you????

smile

If you show me someone who has made minimum wage for 3 years + I will show you someone over paid.

Bob, you would think, but I have worked in a few different industries, from manual labor, food service, customer service, and also in manufacturing. These have been from small companies up to fortune 100, most of them have the same outlined expectations, however; it comes down to the staff and employees. Most managers let things coast by, talk to the employees things change for a brief period and then back at. I think it shows with people's work ethic and their own sense of a job well done. I know for me I can sleep good at night knowing the job I do each day is at or above what should be done, if some can sleep not meeting that, well guess they will be the underachievers.

When I managed restaurants and bars, I used to write people up for going against their job description and expectations. I made it very clear as to what was expected and what the repercussions are/were. Three chances and gone, that was my theory.

I know in a different type work enviornment and industry, managers are busy, they will talk to employees but I have not seen or heard of any documentation, except for yearly reviews, and with the fear companies have of being sued by term'd employees, they usually tend to let them go away on their own, good or bad it's what I see.

I also have to say many people tend to say, the youth are lazy and have no work ethic, well maybe some do or most do, but how many people actually take the time to train and develop people to learn what their limits are and how to achieve those and excel beyond? I learned that at an early age from my parents but it was also instilled in me through many years of sports and not wanting to just be on the tema, but I always wanted to be a starter and get other aknowledgements...

just my .02

Quote:

smile

At 11:30 at night? Man I sure hope not. Now, yes, but my work is still getting done and people that rely on me are taken care of. My job doesn't suffer.

Want to see change? Voice your opinion about poor or great customer service.

I like going to the small hardware places to shop...where customer service is still alive. Some things may cost more...but it is worth it to me. Stay away from the huge department places.

Quote:
Its not about age, its about intelligence.

It is not age or intelligence it is about attitude. I have seen some very intelligent people that just don't care and if you don't care....well you ain't gonna be there to learn or help.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Maximum12Quote:Not at all. I'm saying the kids entering the work enviroment these days have had everything handed to them and have no clue what a work ethic is.

At 11:30 at night? Man I sure hope not. Now, yes, but my work is still getting done and people that rely on me are taken care of. My job doesn't suffer.

Just yankin' your chain! smile

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Maximum12Quote:Not at all. I'm saying the kids entering the work enviroment these days have had everything handed to them and have no clue what a work ethic is.

I gotcha Max. I'll be your huckleberry. laugh

Quote:

is there ever gonna be thread where you two will hug and make up? whistle