• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ASAT or PREDATOR CAMO IS THIS STUFF GOOD AS THEY SAY???

I am a Predator fan. It is an excellent pattern for stand hunting. don't believe me? hang your favorite jacket over the seat of your stand, climb down and see how it sticks out. if it doesn’t your good. but if your in birch, poplar, oak, maple or other deciduas tree, predator or a snow camo is a good choice. but at dusk all camo is the same in a tree (dark blob)

I have elk hunted in aspen groves in colorodo and other light colored trees and for those applications I really like the nat gear line particularly the evergreen. I hunt with a guy that hunts with the pred paturn and I can pick him out like nothing, and so did two big bulls. With that being said I think just about any camo will work for an animal that is color blind as long as you stay still. The last three years I have harvested bucks with my bow durring the first gun season dressed in full orange. Just make sure you are wearing scent supression of some sort.

mossy oak break-up. a dark pattern, as i usually find myself perched up a large oak. spend the extra buck on a good scent eliminator. seems like a lot of people worry more of camo than covering or eliminating their scent.

I agree that for most of the season Predator fall grey is the best for up in the tree. When you get on the ground it's a different story...if there's no snow cover. So many people wear camo that is too dark for a leafless tree and overcast fall sky as a back drop. If you truly want to blend in, a mix of light colors really helps your figure dissolve. This all being said, I don't think we need to blend in as well as clothing manufacturers would like us to think. If blending in very well is what you seek, then mind the above. I value elevation and lack of motion more than color schemes while biding my time in the tree. But who knows? I'm just a colorblind guy running short on wall space.

They are both great, and they both work as good as the companies say they do. Ive used both out west quite a bit, and have friends that still work for outfits and that is all we wear. It really is amazing suff. Pretty cool for how simple the patter is.

I'll stack my pile of camo hunting gear up against anyone, but laugh just as hard at myself as I do at the question here.

First bow deer I shot I was wearing blue jeans, a green and black checked wool shirt and wearing leather boots. My tree stand was a discarded door resting on some discarded lumber that had been nailed into a birch tree near a trail crossing.

Pretty fancy stuff.

Play the wind, keep your movement under control, and the particular brand of camo you choose only matters as much as you let it.

Ive heard all kinds of stories about people of my Dad's and Grandfathers generation killing game in blue jeans etc... I just dont think that is consistantly possible anymore. From my experience bow hunting, it takes alot of preparation with camo and sent elimination to have a deer not bust me. I dont think there has ever been a time Ive been hunting where I could have ever gotten away with wearing blue jeans. Maybe back in the day that worked, but just like elk are becoming less and less bugle responsive, I think game species of all kinds are becomeing more saavy in identifying humans.

I think the biggest factor back then and why they got away with it was because of the little hunting pressure they had back then compared to now the whitetail has evolved tremendously since those days. Not to mention back then guys were all about shooting meat for the family not bone!

deer are color blind. but this isnt a dissadvantage to them. back when the army switched to woodland camo from O.D. green the only one who could pick out the testers, hiding in the woods, out of a platoon was the one guy that was colorblind. a colorblind person can tell very minimal changes in shades of color.