• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boots

slick2526

For deep cold and extended standing on ice, look for boots with an extra thick sole that keeps you up off the ice. The Cabela's Saskatchewan boot is a winner. The classic White military Cold Weather Bunny boot/Mickey Boot is another proven ice boot, with a thick bottom sole.

Active wear hunting boots breath better and are lighter, but do not take ice and slop well. Leather for me is not a good option as it gets soaked and dries too slowly.

Insulated rubberized boots with neoprene uppers are a better choice for wet conditions. Ones with a removable inner liner often dry faster. Less breathable but keep the feet dry.

I use a early and late season wet boot with insulated neoprene, and a deep winter boot for cold and dry. The 2 boot system works best for me.

Do a search this has been talked about many many times and everyone likes a different boot. I like my Ice Kings. No matter what boot good socks are a must. I use a good wicking sock with some smart wool socks. Keep feet dry in any situation wether it be sitting all day or hole hopping all day is a must.

The Rocky Blizzard stalkers are the best boots i have ever owned, that being said i wish i could've gotten the Ice Stalkers instead as they are just blizzard stalkers with permanent ice cleats that you flip open or closed, but they are very hard to find.

Good point, socks are key to the best footwear systems around.

2 layer wick away systems are the way to go. A shear under sock with a wool blend over keeps your feet dry and warm. X socks are great but there are cheaper models out there that will do the same thing for less cash.

The Smartwool hunting sock system is a good choice, as is the WigWam under sock that is almost up to the knee. I opt for the best merino wool socks I can get or high quality Norwegian wool with a good elastic in the top to keep the sock in place. Bunching up in the toe of the boot restricts circulation and works against you, plus it just bites to have your socks wadded up in the toe of the boot.

Whatever boot and sock system you use, allow for plenty of room for you to be able to wiggle your toes. Firm at the ankle, loose at the toes.

Too tight of footwear means poor circulation of blood and air, an that means cold feet.

micky boots, the black ones, the white ones are way too warm. i got mine on hsolist last fall brand new never issued for $25, paid $40 total after shipping, and theres usually alot of them on there so nobody bidding against ya, waterproof,warm, and cheep, great boots

I got the rocky blizzard stalkers too and they work great but when there's 6 inches of wet slop on top the ice i get wet feet. And I take care to coat my boots every year. Go with what Ed said and pair em up with a good rubber boot and you'll be good to go. "jmoo"

coon

Saskatchewan Pac Boot , do a search and it will bring you right to them, i have the camo scent lock, now these are boots! I also have the mickey blacks, nothing near as good as these, and they are worth every penny! you wont be dissapointed!

p020834hz07.jpg

In a Hi-Tech boot the Sask-Pack is the king. Not cheap but most quality boots are between $160 and $220 these days.

The sole is what caught my eye, as it sinks the cold away from your feet. A cold trap as it were. It was designed for the Iditarod dog race and proved out very well. It fast became the standard in dog racing boots. If a souped-up Moon Boot can handle that year after year, it can handle moseying around the ice I thought.

With the Mickey Boots, they are simplicity at it's best. Noting to get wet. If your socks sweet up..change them...and the boot will air-dry quickly. As long as you do not puncture them they will not soak up water. And if they get a hole..slap on a tire patch and your good to go. My old white set lasted me 15 years before I tore them up too badly with an out of control ice auger and was forced to retire them...sad day Eh.

On a related topic....Boot Dryers.

sidePromo_advSki.png

I am adding a boot dryer this season and it is long overdue. Been watching them and the different models available...some kinda rinky-dink...some too darn high priced for me but I found a new one that hit the spot. It is the new model PEET system dryer with the combo glove and boot dryer Gander has in stock this season. SWEEET!!!! I'm all over that Eh. Fair price and will take high top boots and gloves at the same time. Perfect....Eddy get's a early X-mass present...to himself! I just may have to get one for a certain Canadian guide Guru I know too? wink

I definitely think a boot/glove dryer is a good investment, or present for the sportsman who already has all his junk.

Great Point Ed, Oh yeah boot dryers are a must. I bought a new one last year with my Xmas gift cards. I got the propane model so I can use it even when I have minimal access to electricity on certain hunting/fishing trips. Getting the wadder attachments is a must if your a waterfowl hunter.

I have Lacrosse Ice Kings. They have been the warmest boot I have ever worn and will continue to wear. I have very poor circulation in my hands and feet and my feet never get cold. They are resonably priced as well. I would highly recommend this boot.

I got a pair of Cabela's Predator Extreme Pac Boots for X-mas last year and love them. I needed a thicker footbed and liked the fact that they had both Thinsulate and a removeable Texel liner. Super warm and surprisingly light, not much heavier that my 1000g Danners. Plus, you can find the pacs on sale online and get them for about $100 if you keep your eyes open.

I own the Trans Alaska III pac boots and would not trade them for anything else. They are the lightest Pac boot on the market and with the pulley system for the strings I get them on and off very quickly compared to the other brands. This boot keeps your feet nice and warm even standing on the ice for 7 to 8 hours.

I will also put another vote down for the black bunny boots. bought them before last years ice season and were one of my best investments that i wear. They are a little heavy and not a great for long hikes but it doesent matter if your feet sweat or stay dry your feet will stay warm. excellent boot and deffinatly one that every person who spends extended ammounts of time on the ice should have.

Rockie Bear Claw II's are hard to beat in my book. While we are on the subject, I bought a pair of Cabelas GORE-TEX Silent Stalk Sneaker for for wet conditions this spring and lemma tell ya, they ARE waterproof. I've worn them everyday on the golf course where I work. Morning dew, rain or the wash rack hasn't fazed them at all. They weigh in at 1.4 pounds per boot and provide excellent ankle support. FJ-81-2513 is the number for em.