Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swill

Ron Paul for President

8 posts in this topic

Have not heard much on him, but here are the main reasons to vote for him. (from his web site) Too bad both parties and the media will not give him any time.

He’s a populist, - a political Rockstar.

Ron Paul attracts the sorts of crowds that one is more familiar seeing at a rock concert.

2 He appeals to left and right accordingly due to his anti-establishment rhetoric, his pacifist leanings, combined with his libertarian, free-market ideals, his genuine small-government credentials, his opposition to the “federal” income tax and the “Federal” Reserve, and of course his unwavering and staunch adherence to the Constitution

3 He is the reincarnation Paul Revere

4 His message is the embodiment of the American dream. He believes in the spirit of the individual. “Self reliance, self respect, and taking care of ourselves”….

Ron Paul is the original American individualist.

5 He is a civil libertarian who does not believe that liberty can be traded for security, but conversely does not believe in a ‘victim mentality’. .

6 He believes in free speech AND the right to bear arms.

7 he is not owned by corporate or government interests.

8 He is not afraid to speak truth to power.

Even though he ran for the nomination as a Republican, he was consistently comfortable in criticising their botched foreign policy for the last 8 years, and indeed, criticising their very marginalising of his campaign.

9 He is a staunch Constitutionalist, the original kind of American Patriot

10 He is a father figure.

He might not always be right, but for right or wrong, he always has your best interests at heart.

11 His followers are self-motivated, organised, and technically savvy. They are the next generation of american political influence.

12 He is not in the race in 2008. But IF there is a race in 2012 or after, he or one of his movement will have a very good chance at President..

One of the more interesting quotes from Paul at the Ron-Vention was this : “Our day will come”. Ron Paul is unashamed about the fact that despite not standing a chance in the 2008 race, he is about the message, and not the office.

13 He believes in hard money - gold+silver as legal tender.

14 He is anti-drug war.

The United States currently incarcerates more people per head of population than anyone else on the planet bar China. Most of them are there due to drug offenses. Paul’s consistent stance against the war on drugs, and in particular against criminalising drug use amongst the terminally ill, places him squarely in the good books of many both on the pro-drug Left and the anti-big-government Libertarian Right.

15 He is anti big government in an era when big government are in bed with big corporations.

I was pretty disappointed when he dropped out of the running.

I've had a Ron Paul for President bumper sticker on my truck since last January.

He didn't get the media airtime because he doesn't fit into their compact little definitions of republican or democrat...and there are a lot of people in the republican party that don't like him. The party went to a lot of effort to keep him out of the primary debates, and when that failed, he didn't get nearly the air time or the number of questions that most of the other candidates got.

I was very impressed with him even with some of his conservative views, that was not a nock. He did not have the backing of the Christian right,the elite and the war mongers, witch could be considered one in the same. That is one of the reasons the consevative base overlooked him and didnt take him seriously.

Reasons stated above Keeps Bar out.

I did strongly consider Paul as the one to back.

Nice topic Swill.

12 He is not in the race in 2008.

He's still getting my vote. No Presidential candidate has come along in my lifetime with whom I agree more.

If you don't like your choices, write him in. At least your conscience will be clear.

I disagree about him being a Pacifist though. He is against 700 bases in 130 countries and the costs that go along with that. There are very few future wars where having boots on the Ground for extended periods of time, (Iraq included), will make any sense at all. You remove the threat and move on. If it's not a real threat or you can't stomach the mess, you don't engage.

God bless him, Ron Paul's inability to court constituents and funding made him little more than a footnote in the 2008 election cycle.

I wish him luck, but the continuing anger and angst by his hardcore supporters will do no good.

The only news station that has given him any time to speak has been CNN Headline News - the glen beck show. He was a 2-3 times last week, and he had a lot of good things to say.

Jarrod32 you hit the nail on the head. He did not get airtime because he did not fit into the definitions of republic or democrate. how true.

I agree with him a lot on the issues, and makes a person wonder how close our current parties represent the founding fathers vision.

I wish him luck, but the continuing anger and angst by his hardcore supporters will do no good.

Pray tell what will?

I don't see the anger or angst going away until enough people start to get past the party and focus on the policy.