• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food Plot, any help would be great!!

tipup

My in-laws live on 5 acres, and at the back of their land they are about 100-150 yards to a river bottom. They always have deer comming into their yards all year round munching and rubing the trees in their yard. Well my father-in-law tilled up and area about 10' by 30' and said that i could plant food plot there. Now I can not hunt that area as of yet as my MIL does not want me to shoot the deer but they both want to watch them. My question is, can I just by a bag of food plot seed from like cableas or gander and have succecess? The area has been worked up and is similar to what a fresh garden would look like in the spring. Any help or comments would be great!! Also is it to late to plant yet this fall or should I wait until spring? Thanks in advance!!!

You might have some luck with a winter wheat or rye but I would probably wait until spring to get better results. If they just want to watch some deer I would throw out a salt lick and some apples.

winter wheat and winter rye wood be best to plant next weekend, if you want to plant something for the winter, then it'll be there in the spring and come up nicely. if you were thinking heavier foliage like turnips, clovers, or brassicas, then next spring would be best. it depends a bit too though, how much sun will the plot get during the day? the heavier foliage needs a good 6 hours a day to reach full potential.