• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mooneye/Goldeye fishing tips

badfish

I was wondering what tactics everyone has tried and had success with when fishing these 2 species. Do they have the same behavior where one technique will work for the other or should I approach them differently. Do they feed looking up? I heard slip bobber and crawler were the way to go but I will be fishing in heavy current and that might not work out too well. Any other techniques? thanks

I caught all the mooneye I ever needed for bait by tipping a gaberdeen hook with a piece of crawler Under a bobber. I like to fish mooneyes just under the surface to a foot down.

Cast as far upstream as possible-foam bobbers with built in weight cast the best-and let the bait dift with the current. Then repeat after a full drift.

On the Croix, the warm water outlet at the King plant is a sure thing. Just walk the levee in Stillwater with your bait drifting naturally and you can always pick up a few there too.

When fishing mooneys don't wear a good shirt, because they always splatter blood.

I also have had luck just leaveing an unweighted line with no bobber trailing off the back of my anchored boat. Hans

I've taken many of these fish at or near the surface. crawlers work great. If you you can fly fish, dry flies are a solid choice for these fish. They'll actively take flies during a hatch, just like a trout would.

Great point brought up about the blood. Both of these fish are real sensitive and it doesn't take a whole lot to get these fish to bleed. If you are planning on releasing these fish, just try to be gentle with them, as they don't handle well and have a high rate of mortality after being caught. Otherwise, they make great cutbait for kitties.

Good Luck!