• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what's a good cell phone

Ryan_V

Question

My t-mobile contract is up soon and we are looking at upgrading phones. I'm looking at the Motorola Rizer and the Samsung Katalyst to name a couple. does anyone have any experience with these?? how about phones in general, is motorola the best??...samsung??? others??? how about a flip vs a slider?? I'm not looking for anything that will do everything but clean my house, but am looking for a phone with a few frills.

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I live in southern MN and used to have trouble finding service down here in the smaller towns. I have had service in the past with Cingular and Sprint. I have since switched to Alltel (formerly Midwest Wireless) and am extremely happy. I am yet to find a spot where service is interrupted. It works great even while duck hunting and fishing out in the middle of remote lakes. Give them a look. I've had good luck with my Motorola Razr.

Are you staying with T-Mobile?

I'm with Verizon and have been for over 15yrs (AirTouch) I've always upgraded as soon as I possibly could so I've been through a ton of phones.

In my opinion, Motorola is a very good choice for reception and voice quality. Right up there is LG and Nokia.

I recently upgraded to a LG Voyager and am really impressed with it.

It is the first phone I've had with a full QWERTY keyboard and touchscreen. I never thought I would need the keyboard, but I'm pretty sure I won't buy one again without it.

Check out Howard Forums for some great info.

I have the LG VU wich is about the same as the LG Voyager, but I am with AT&T so they name it different, I like the phone as well. As for the provider, it all depends on where you live and where you travel. I would recomend trying someones phone for a day and just see how there coverage is with each carier.

I have a palm centro through Sprint and love it. The smart phones are awesome. I can get weather radar while I'm on the river fishing, get email, surf FM, all kinds of good stuff. All vnders should have some form of smart phone.

I have a motorola v325 thru verizon, but it's a flip phone and very durable and have signal from the cities to L.O.W. Overall the best set up I've used over the last 10 years, plus you can change your minutes plan up or down as much as you want.

hope this helps.

I'm with Verizon and have been for over 15yrs (AirTouch)

I recently upgraded to a LG Voyager and am really impressed with it.

I'm an Air-Touch original also!

I hardly ever upgrade but after reading this I called and it appears I can get into the Voyager for $50 with a 2 year contract of course.

I was kind of waiting for a Camera phone with a decent flash but other then the Voyager not having a Flash it looks like it has about everything I need including expandable memory I do wish it was SD instead of Micro SD but not a big deal I guess.

I'm heading to a Verizon store to check it out in person I'm thinking the Black one but want to check the Titanium one out also.

Thanks guys! I was over-due!

I've kind of narrowed it down to the Motorola Rizr and the Samsung Katalyst. was looking at a few others, but eliminated them after reading reviews. I'm planning on staying with t-mobile, have not had any problems.

That Rizr looks pretty sweet nice and small/sleek which is important to some people!

Good Luck!

Dtro I checked out the Dare, like you said 3 mega-pixel with flash but no Keyboard so I passed on it not sure why I was thinking a Camera phone with a flash was going to mean great night pictures anyway.

I did order the Voyager on-line instead of buying it at the Verizon store so I get the $50 rebate instantly instead of waiting for it.

So $53 and Change and I have a New Phone coming in a couple days!

Not sure which accessories to get just yet. I know the wireless Music headphones would be sweet but they are kind of spendy. Maybe I'll just get the hands free wireless and car cord charger for now!

Thanks again!

Verizon gets my vote.

I have always had LG's, and excellent quality and reception. Upgraded to the Blackberry 8130 recently. Just made the trip and back to/from Green Bay. I got e-mail and internet the entire drive.

Not sure which accessories to get just yet. I know the wireless Music headphones would be sweet but they are kind of spendy. Maybe I'll just get the hands free wireless and car cord charger for now!

Thanks again!

Gary, if you plan to use the mp3 player capability, or take a bajillion pictures, you might be interested in a 4 gigabyte micro sd high capacity (sdhc) memory card for it. You can find one on newegg, $12.25 with free shipping. It's a kingston, if you go to newegg's site you can find it. Or you might want the 8 gigabyte card from amazon for $28.25, search for SDSDQ-8192

I can't imagine what you could do with that much memory. I have a 1gig and have a bunch of music and 3 full length movies on my phone.

Well, people have 160 gig ipods, so I would think one could find a way to fill up 8 gigs easy enough if one tried smile

once you go Blackberry...

4400 is a great phone. Go BB though, its worth every penny of the extra ching. From what I have read of your posts, you will be in heaven as am I with the service of a smart phone laugh

4400 is a great phone. Go BB though, its worth every penny of the extra ching. From what I have read of your posts, you will be in heaven as am I with the service of a smart phone laugh

yeah, my wife just bought a BB Pearl.

The forced $29.99/mo data charge turned me off.

What's the big difference between blackberry smart phone and a smart phone like the voyager, feature-wise? AFAIK, it's just the suped up RIM email delivery service, basically instant always on email. And I think that only works with the more expensive $45 data plans, the cheaper $30 one doesn't even connect to the enterprise servers where that would be a useful feature. Am I off base?

Pier, you can't get the black one anymore I don't think.

I think the Dare has a better camera w/flash, but it also costs more.

I have Verizon and the Dare with an 8gb Micro SD card, so far I am very happy with it. It does every thing I could ever use and a whole lot more. My only dislike is is is not "rugged" or "waterproof" but I didn't like the sound quality of the phones that were.

The Dare has a touch screen Qwerty keyboard, it appears when you turn the unit sideways, you can also use a handwriting feature like a palm.

I personally would nevr own a motorola, working in the communications field I have seen more Moto problems than any other brand, expecially their razor line-up.

Check out CNET or PhoneScoop for reviews and info.