• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Equipment question

mcary

Anyone out there use a gimbal head for their tripod? I just ordered a Jobu designs full gimbal (little cheaper than the Wimberley). Maybe it's kind of backwards asking the question after the purchase, but I'd still like to see if anyone has any experience with either and if there were any concerns.

Steve,

I'm only shooting the 100-400 off of it. I know this lens doesn't require the gimbal, but I'll explain my rationale. I found a very sweet spot to set up for waterfowl during my exploring today. I'm looking to put the waders to use and set up a portable blind in some shallow water. I'd like to be able to set up my tripod with the gimbal when in the blind. I want my set up on a tripod so I don't have to worry about dropping it in the drink. I'd like the gimbal (rather than my ballhead) for the benefits in panning, since most of the shots I'm hoping to capture will be of passing waterfowl. I've been saving up for the 500 f/4 (but considering the cost I have a long way to go yet) and I figure that I'll want a gimbal head if I'm ever lucky enough to own one.

It is definitely an expensive hobby! I am not familiar with that setup, but I can recommend what I use... the RRS (Really Right Stuff) ballhead attached to a Wimberly sidekick. This setup is as smooth as silicone.

If anyone is interested, I just got it today. For clarification, it is the Jobu Designs Black Widow which is a full gimbal. I've never used a Wimberley so I have no way to compare, but here is my take from just testing it in the living room. I set it up with my 40D, battery grip, and 100-400 attached to a Wimberley P20 plate. This is far less weight than it is rated to handle considering it is advertised to be able to take any camera lens combo on the market. My initial impressions are that it is smooth. The set up pans left to right and up and down with almost no effort. It also stops on a dime when you want it to and holds the position in which you left it. This is what I expected, but I had one pleasant surprise. The support platform and drop down arm detaches and you can mount the quick release directly to the upper pivot arm. In other words, it transforms from a full gimbal into a mimic of the Wimberley Sidekick. Set up this way it still works like a charm for the 100-400 and attached body, but it saves a little over a pound from the overall set-up. I'm very happy with the purchase so far and am looking forward to the first field testing. With the extra stability this thing provides I should be able to get a lot more "keepers" when I'm out.

Great deal, Mike.

Now, ahem, I'm assuming you are going to wow us with wonderful BIF images in the next few days, right? It's not like you have a full-time teaching job or anything to interrupt your new love affair. gringringrin

Take a road trip in a week or so up to your old haunts at Hawk Ridge. You know the way! smilesmile

Take a road trip in a week or so up to your old haunts at Hawk Ridge. You know the way! smilesmile

That would be fantastic if I had the time. I'll just have to scope out more new places around here. I will be up in the great north woods in a few weeks for a late season BWCA trip. Should be good fun. I'll be sure to wrangle up some BIF shots for you from prairie country. wink

Great report, Mike! I always like learning more about products I am clueless abaout, so thanks!

Did somebody mention Hawk Ridge? Steve, I might be heading up there with another photog next weekend, do you ever go there?

Mike, I'd love to go there, but I've got a wedding to photograph that Saturday (20th) and an 8-person excursion that Sunday (21st).

The only weekend I've got open still this month is Sept. 27/28. The big Hawk Ridge migration weekend with all the programs and celebrations is the 20th/21st, if I recall, generally timed for the peak of the migration, but it's a long migration, and a week before or after that date won't have a huge impact on numbers.

If you can hold off a week, maybe I could get Ken and I together to carpool our way down there for the day. I see Ken is booked for Saturday the 27th already, so that would make it a Sunday gig if it would work out that way. Otherwise, if I don't get booked for that weekend in the meantime, I could drive down solo. God knows my spouse loves to spend a day in Duluth! gringrin

Quote:
God knows my spouse loves to spend a day in Duluth! grin grin

I think it's called something like "shopping", and a "nice place to eat".

I'll be in touch, Steve, about the 28th. 'Spect I'll be up late on the 27th downloading images, so might not be much for company on the way down!

Actually I forgot that I'm in Itasca State Park with the family on the 19th through the 21st... so I guess the week I'd go is on the 27th (Saturday). I'd probably go up to Tettegouche or Split Rock for the early AM shoot and then head back down to Hawk Ridge for a while to see what we see. Lets keep in touch on that date okay.