• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund Rumor

gunflint

Has anyone heard if Lund has dropped the requirement that you must take a Mercury outboard? One of the local dealers told a customer that you can now get any outboard you want. Was this a sales pitch? Great news if true.

When we bought ours this year, one of the sales guys mentioned that next year they will no longer come pre-rigged for Merc. It may be Brunswick's position that selling both a Lund and a Merc makes the most business sense for them, thus the decision to pre-rig. But that's not how 75% of the people buy boats. No offense to Merc owners out there, but a 400 lb non-supercharged Verado block was not what I wanted (400 lbs for 75 Horse?!?)

What they seemed to be doing was a compromise. You can get just about any motor put on there (we bought a Yamaha), but the consumer gets to pay the re-rigging fees. Unless you somehow negotiate them out. For us it was a little over $200, which I have to believe was a decent deal given the amount of work. Not cheap to remove all the gages, cables, connections, etc and run Yamaha stuff. Dealers might lose more money re-rigging than the potential gain from the small % of people who prefer non-Merc, but don't want to pay to swap motors. Plus this whole theory may have sent some buyers to different brands.

So if you want a Lund, buy a Lund and put whatever you want on there. The small re-rigging fees with fall pricing are going to be cheaper than the markup in the spring for a new boat w/o rigging.

Is this something they just started doing in the last few years, or does it only apply yo console steering boats? I have a 2000 Pro-V tiller with a 75hp Honda on it and I wasnt charged any extra fees for putting the Honda on back.

Hey Cold One,

Totally off the subject here, but I just tried your recipie for Pickled Pike and it turned out great!

Thanks,

PS I have a 2003 Lund Alaskan and it came with a 40 Merc 4 Stroke that I love. Not sure that I would choose anything else.

Windy

This is what I know- This year when I was looking at new Lunds, I requested to the dealers that I did not want a Merc. all the dealers told me that they could put any motor on, but I would have to pay 5% more for the request.

Yeah, but some of those brands are putting out some fine equipment now. I have personally seen two seperate mercs go to the crapper and both were replaced with newer Yahmahas and I have to say that the Yahmaha motors are way better than those mercs. No offense meant to merc fans, just my personal opinion. I know what I will have on my new boat when I get one.

Yeah, but some of those brands are putting out some fine equipment now. I have personally seen two seperate mercs go to the crapper and both were replaced with newer Yahmahas and I have to say that the Yahmaha motors are way better than those mercs. No offense meant to merc fans, just my personal opinion. I know what I will have on my new boat when I get one.

What year/model where those motors because Yamaha built alot of Mercs motors. grin

Hey Cold One,

Totally off the subject here, but I just tried your recipie for Pickled Pike and it turned out great!

Thanks,

PS I have a 2003 Lund Alaskan and it came with a 40 Merc 4 Stroke that I love. Not sure that I would choose anything else.

Windy

Windy City, Would you please post the recipe for me? I haven't pickled any fish for years and my wife managed to lose the recipe. blush

Here you go Cold One,

It is in the thread "Pickled Northern" on the Cooking thread. It is on page one and is the 7th post down. Enjoy, once again!

I hope this works.

Found this by doing a 'search' here on the site. It was originally from a member named 'coldone' but his name doesn't show up any more. Wonder why. Any way it is very good and does taste like the pickled herring you buy in stores.

Re: Best Pickling Recipe

#216918 - 11/24/02 08:23 PM Edit Reply Quote

The season is fast approaching, nothing finer than serving up some pickled pike as an appetizer at holiday gatherings, here is a recipe I obtained from some "old-timers". The only change I recommend is to first freeze the fish for 48-72 hours to destroy any fish tape worm larvae that may be present.

Pickled Pike

Prepare fish by filleting and cutting into bite sized pieces, it is OK to leave in the Y-bones as they will soften in the vinegar. Prepare a brine of 4 cups water to 1 cup pickling salt, cover fish with brine and let stand for 24 hours.

After standing, rinse fish with cold water, cover fish with white vinegar and let stand for 24 hours.

Drain fish, and place in containers with course chopped onion, (canning jars work well). Prepare pickling solution, 2 cups white vinegar, 4 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon pickling spice, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 1 ¾ cup white sugar, 5 whole cloves, 2 teaspoons whole mustard seed. Bring solution to a boil, allow to cool somewhat, pour over fish. Keep refrigerated, ready to serve in about 5-7 days.

The above recipe is very similar to the pickled herring you may find at the market, I acquired this recipe from some "old-timers", this is not Pwaldows recipe, probably similar though. I too have had folks rave about this pickled fish as well, I serve it to guests throughout the holiday season, and it disappears at a rapid rate. The advantage of using northern pike is that the flesh is very solid and much less greasy than a herring.

The recipe is actually 5 whole cloves, the spicy ones, they come dried, in small jars or canisters, in the herbs and spice section of your market(baking isle). Although, if you like garlic, it certainly would add some flavor. I added some garlic in addition to the spice cloves and other seasonings, to the last batch I made and It was fine.

What is great about this particular recipe, is that as long as you stick with the basic instructions, amounts and ingredients(freeze for 72 hours, salt brine, vinegar soak, and vinegar and sugar pickling solution) those are all necessary for preserving and chemically "cooking" the fish. I would shy away from any recipes that do not involve; freezing the fish first, or consecutive salt brine and vinegar soaks, you can modify the flavorings; garlic, jalapeno (or habenero for the brave) BBQ, teriyaki, soysauce, whatever your stomach desires. I like this recipe as is, although sometimes I add a little more of all of the called for seasonings.

Finns.

This is the best pickled fish I have ever had.

Windy

This is what I know- This year when I was looking at new Lunds, I requested to the dealers that I did not want a Merc. all the dealers told me that they could put any motor on, but I would have to pay 5% more for the request.

I would guess that the 5% fee is to cover the labor cost of replacement perhaps? I should think it is a negotiable item anyway. If I was dead set on putting another brand on my new $30,000.00 boat, I'm guessing they may want to reconsider their position if I was reconsidering my dealer choice.

Bob