• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jet Ski

dustin85

Hey! Unless I missed it, I did not see a forum for jet ski's. I just picked up a 96 Sea Doo SPX with a trailer and a lift.. I have no experience with these machines. Is there anything I should know about it? (wear items to check, commonly damaged parts, etc.) Also, I am not going to need the lift. What is a fair price for it if I decide to sell it? It is aluminum, and it works,....sorry, that's all I know about it right now.-Later!

Dustin

Dustin, couple of tips I can tell you. I've got a 1997 XP.

tip 1 - Dont neglect winterizing the machine. This means running antifreeze thru the motor, as instructed by your service manual. Neglect to winterize and you'll be shopping for a new motor in the Spring.

tip 2 - Get a decent battery. My battery needs a full charge to even turn the motor over. My motor is a 787 though..not sure what size yours would be. Nothing worse than trying to pull the battery when the machine is in the water.

Tip 3 - You cant just tow it behind a boat. You need a hose clamp to block the intake line, or else you'll flood the motor and possibly ruin it. I have towed mine VERY slowly without it, in an emergency though.

and finally Tip 4 - If someone tips it, rolls it, or just brings it back to you and says that it stopped running. Try starting it again IMMEDIATELY. If it wont turn over, DO NOT assume that it's a dead battery. Assume that it's waterlocked. You need to get it to a beach and roll it on it's side. I'm unfamiliar with the exact process, but it's likley that water came thru the exhaust and is now sitting inside of your engine. If you dont get it out immediately you will ruin your motor in 1 day.

IF you do get it to fire and see a puff of white smoke - but it wont run - it's waterlocked and you have to get the water out asap.

if I sound a bit overzealous about Tip 4, I can speak from experience. I replaced my motor last winter. frown

Dustin, I have had many Sea-Doo's and actually had a 96 SPX. They are not as fragile as big bart is saying. I am sure he is just trying to be cautious, but don't let it scare you.

Defintely make sure you winterize it the correct way or else you will have major problems.

I have never heard of the motor filling with water by towing, I have towed many jet skis behind boats when people feel like taking a break and never a problem. If you do roll the ski, I think you tip the jet ski counter clockwise on it's side, there should be a diagram on the back which shows you the correct direction, this is all you need to do and it should be fine and it will start no problem. There is an automatic bilge that should suck the water out.

The only issue with the 96 that I had was the starter??? But overall, a great jet ski!

Upnorth is correct. My tips may sound a bit scary, but they are not that difficult to maintain. I'm just tired of fooling around with mine. After replacing the motor last winter, now the gauges have decided to stop working.

Between replacing motors, cleaning carbs and bad snowmobile stators, my toys are beginning to wear on me. I'm about ready to just buy a rowboat to cruise around in. smile

Thanks for the info! I did see a sticker on the back of showing how to roll it back over. A friend of mine said he fogs every week his when he is done riding for the weekend...is this necessary, or overkill? I probably would not ride every weekend, instead, probably a few times each summer. Thanks again!~

Dustin