Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pkwalleye

The GRIZZ??

26 posts in this topic

does anyone know if the Grizz is a member on this site??

Thanks,

PK

Never seen him here,but by the way you ask, you know where ta git him If yer askin.

There is someone using that name, but it is not the fishing guide " The Griz".

The Grizz is an awesome walleye fisherman, that occasionally guides out of Terry's on Mille Lacs. If you saw a picture of the guy, I bet you would reccognize him. I met him last year at Terry's, and he is an EXTREMELY intelligent fisherman, who doesn't get the recognition that he deserves. He was a guest on Kent Hrbek Outdoors fishin for walleye's on the Croix a couple years back I believe.

I have been out w/him about a dozen times and you will not find a better walleye fisherman on the 'Croix. Or the Mississippi, or Mille lacs for that matter. No kidding!

Grizz,was one of the first to start the Ripp Jigging technique.

I'd say he is one of if not the best Jig and Minnow fishermen on the River thats all he and his clients do on the River.

Mille Lacs I'd have a hard time putting him the top 100 though IMO he's just not diversified enough to be considered with the best.

To say he's not a big fan of Fishing Internet sites is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

He's very opinionated and a bit Grumpy at times also!

Cut and pasted from the Minnesota Fishing Hall of Fame.

"Griz" was inducted in 2007.

Possibly this fine site will be considered for induction into the Hall some day. smile

Minnesota Fishing Hall of Fame Inductees

Charter Class of 2000:

Joe Alexander

Randy Amenrud

Ted Capra

Jim Fladebo

Joe Fladebo

Dan Gapen

Gill Hamm

Marv Koep

Bob Lessard

Al Lindner

Ron Lindner

Al Maas

Ray Ostrum

Jim Peterson

John Peterson

Gary Roach

Ron Schara

Dick Sternberg

Ron Weber

Charter Class of 2001:

Nick Adams

Joe Fellegy

Babe Winkelman

Charter Class of 2002:

Dave Genz

Larry Bollig

Charter Class of 2003:

Butch Furtman

Frank Schneider

Charter Class of 2004:

Jeff Zernov

Steve Baumann

Charter Class of 2007:

Ed Gerchy

Dick 'Griz' Grzywinski

Current Corporate Hall of Fame Members:

In-Fisherman

Lund Boats

Lindy Little Joe, Inc.

Each year the inducted members of the Minnesota Fishing Hall of Fame vote in 2 new individual members and 1 corporate member to the Hall. The requirements for gaining selection into the Minnesota Hall are: must be 50 years of age, must be a resident of Minnesota, must have made a significant contribution to angling. At large nominations are accepted and the list is reduced to the top ten by the current inductees. The top ten are voted on and the top vote getters gain entry into the Hall.

rip jigging is a very aggresive style of jigging. up and down 3 or 4 feet vertically at a time.

You can hear his reports at the end of Mark and Larry's Bear Facts and Fish Tails on AM1500 on Sunday nights. He calls in every week.

He is a good guy and hear he is a great guide!

You wouldn't think after watching it that rippin would work, but it does.........

BIG FISH>

G.C.

gary, i didnt see your name on that hall of fame list? winkconfusedwhistle

I am just not old enough yet, I guess, or I stir up to much trouble.

G.C.

I did a day trip with the Griz the end of July this summer on the Mississipi (Pool 2). Ended up catching a heckuva lot of fish, including a 10 lb. walleye and a 20"+ sauger. Jig and minnow. We caught eight different species that day, all with the same simple technique.

Not much variety with the Griz, but he can sure put his clients on fish, and big ones.

He's not a flashy guide. Doesn't have a flashy boat, either. He doesn't suffer fools gladly. He just puts his clients on fish, again and again and again.

Can't say that for some of the other guides I've used.

The griz gets a new ranger each year. He uses a jon boat to reach his favorite spots.

He told me he never picked up his Ranger this year. Apparently, he's stopped guiding on Mille Lacs, and is just doing the rivers these days.

I think he's sorta scaling back a bit. I'm glad I had a chance to fish with him before he quits guiding.

I'd love to fish with the Grizz for anything. He's a fountain of knowledge - just to watch his boat control would be a learning experience.

Interesting on the Hall of fame list - that Doug Stange from In Fish isn't on there. When it comes to many innovations, especially in the Ice fishing world - he's right up there. Pretty glaring omission if you ask me.

The Griz is quite the character..you can catch him on the 'bear facts and fish tales' radio show on sunday nights from 7pm to 9pm on AM1500(that sounded like a commercial...) He's usually on towards the end of he show.

I'd give $5 for his top 20 GPS locations on Mille Lacs..

Someone asked about rip jigging. I think snap jigging is a better term. Snapping the jig either vertically or horizontally as you slow troll then allowing it to fall again while carefully watching the line. This is a deadly technique on some lakes - Winni comes to mind.... slow trolling while snap jigging is deadly on that lake.

His boat control seems pretty effortless when you're in the boat with him. He's fishing all the time, but always seems to have complete control over the boat, switching between the 40hp outboard and the electric trolling motor (stern mounted) seamlessly.

No rip jigging on the trip I went on. We fished shallow water (nothing over 10') with about a 6" lift and drop, right on the bottom. Blew me away. I caught that 10 lb. walleye in less than 6' of water, at the end of July! For pete's sake!

Just little minnows...looked like crappie minnows to me...on a roundhead jig. We caught walleyes, sauger, flatties, channels, white bass, about a million sheepheads, smallmouth, and even a mooneye. All using the same delicate jigging presentation.

Normally, I don't jig much, and it took me a while to get the feel of it. No slack, ever. Lift, then drop at exactly the sink rate of the jig and minnow. Bites were almost imperceptible. Mostly, there was a fish on when you lifted the rod tip.

The thing is that he knows exactly where the fish are, and when. He goes there and you catch fish. Heck, I could hardly tell the difference between the spot we were catching them and another spot on the river.

I wouldn't reveal any of his spots, and I doubt I could find most of them myself. He just knows Pool 2 inside and out.

If you can swing it, I don't see how you could do better than a day with the Griz.

Uncle Grizly, D-Man, and myself used to drink the brewskis at Terry's back in the day. He may have seemed grumpy to some, but there was always humor behind everything he said.

His daughter got married in 2000, and she held her wedding on fishing opener. I don't know what kind of message that sent to Dad.