• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Picture Posting of harvested animals

Nice deer everybody!

I finally got my turn to post a pic smile I finally got a full time position again, good for the bank account, but bad for hours in the stand. I've been pretty much been limited to hunting weekends for the last month. Last weekend (Halloween) I sat dark to dark on Saturday. I only saw 3 deer all day!!!! Talk about slow frown I passed up a small 6 and a spike and saw a doe a ways out. I decided to only hunt the morning and evening of Sunday. Sunday morning I tried a different stand (ladder stand on a creek crossing). The leaves were wet and a nice shooter 8 point came running in (nearly silently) off of the deer trail. I had my bow up and ready to draw thinking he would run past, for a quartering away shot. Instead he stopped right in front of me at 10 yards with the wind in my face. I couldn't draw and he started to inspect his surroundings and noticed the big blob on the ladder. I closed my eyes and waited for what seemed like forever, but after a full minute I thought he would lower his head and resume his course. Instead he took a few bounds I was unable to get a shot off. Picked off in a ladder stand, sometimes I just hate them things. GGGGRRRRRRRR!!

Anyways I got mad and left, thinking if he saw me any other deer would too. That evening I hunted a different property. It was a hard decision to either hunt or watch the game, so I brought the headphones with and did both! smile I ended up passing on a doe and seeing a decent 6 point walk by too. GO VIKES!!

All week passed with me leaving the house in the dark and getting home in the dark. I heard from my neighbors and friends of the day light activity picking up fast!! I was excited for the weekend smile

Saturday morning came and I was in the stand for the all day, what I had hoped for EXTRAVAGANZA! It was HORRIBLE! Like the weekend previous (Halloween) I passed a different spike (7am), saw a small 6 (8am) and a doe fawn sreamed by at 3:30 pm. Three deer in 12 hours on stand!! [PoorWordUsage] Talk about a long day frown To say the least my spirits were low.

Last night I checked the weather forecast for the lastet wind update, and found it to be east for today. I looked in my notebook for a good stand site for that wind and decided on a funnel that is over a half mile back on some public land. (that I found last year)

To say the least I wasn't exactly thrilled when the alarm clock went off at 4:30 this morning, but I hoped this funnel would produce some activity for another all day hunt. With the gps in hand and my climber on my pack I found my way to the spot. I had only passed two scrapes and a few fresh rubs on the way in (1100 yards of walking). Nothing spectacular.

The funnel itself is a bridge of dry land between about a 10 acre swamp and a 5-7 acre pond. I already had a tree picked out to cover the 30 yard span. On the deer trail passing through I quickly made a mock scrape and dumped some tink's on it. (putting out scent is something I rarely do.) My thought was that this scrape might stop a buck that is running through the funnel and present a shot without having to grunt to stop him.

I set up my climber and maxed out my hoist rope, my feet were at 25 feet. The wind was perfect and I had a chip shot to the trail.

I wasn't sitting for very long and about 6:45 I saw some movement coming around the swamp. The deer was about 60 yards away trotting right towards the funnel. I saw antlers and stood up with bow in hand. As the buck closed within 30 yards I decided he was a shooter and drew back my bow. He merged right onto the main trail that crossed right in front of me and was closing ground fast! My shooting lanes aren't much of lanes (can't cut trees down on public land), but the mock scrape I had made earlier stopped him perfectly in a small opening!! 15 yards away, 25 feet up, the shot was steep, but I sunk a perfect arrow through his chest as he was peeing on the mock scrape!

The arrow didn't pass through, lodging in the opposite front shoulder. I watched as he srambled throuth the brush, he was nearly out of sight then suddenly piled up about 70 yards away!

I let out a few hoots of celebration, hoping nobody was close enough to hear smile They would have have thought it was the biggest owl ever LOL

I climbed down and packed up then walked over to check him out. He was a nice 10 point, not huge, not my biggest, but a buck like that is good enough to ride in the back of Brandon Meyer's truck anyday!

P1100891-1.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen any elk pics. yet so I will post mine. Montana DIY hunt on pulic land. Shot him on a 98 deg. day comming to a water hole. Saw him bed down during the morning hunt a few hundred yards from the water, so I left him untill the evening hunt hoping he would come in. He gave me a 38 yrd shot about 45 min before dark, so he was thirsty.

033.jpg

Originally Posted By: BirddogBenelli
That is a great buck. Great picture, what setting did you have the camera on to do the background black/white?

let's say Photoshop? Nice buck by the way!

I did it online through photobucket. They have all sorts of cool effects that you can apply to a digital photo.

Ok Don I had just climbed into the stand hung up my pack and sat down got comfy and looked out into the swamp and saw him trotting about 130 yards away so I stand up and bleet at him to stop him and he stops behind some brush but I have a good broadside shot so I take it and he charges the stand as I'm trying to reload he passes at 10 yards and I thought I missed waited 20 miutes and climbed down found some blood but not the best so I backed out and met my dad at the road and I decided to check the main trail that crossed the road and the dirt road was covered in blood went and asked the land owner if I could track the deer onto their land and they said go ahead just stop at the house with him so they could see it by this time it was getting dark so we went home and got a lantern and my spot light went back to were he crossed the road and had a good blood trail through a small pine plantation he went into the oaks and we followed for about 75 yards and there he layed right next to a buck rub the size of my thigh so by this time he had traveled about 500 yards so when I dressed him I was criouse what the bullet hit and found it went through the back half of both lungs that is the farthest I have ever had a deer go with a double lung hit my friends that tracked with me didn't belive me till I showed them the lungs, that really show what a deer really can do once they start running. Oh yeah I stopped at the landowners house and they came out with their little girl and boy touched the antlers and took some pictures I thanked them for letting me track the deer onto thier land.

You should change your name to MuzzySniper. Thats the second nice pic of you with a buck during muzzy season. Congrats. Great story. Way to do the right thing with the land owner. Alot of people would have been tempted to just hop the fence, especially if they were on good blood. I have a funny picture of you trying to reload your ML as fast as possible as the big buck is going full tilt right at you and past your stand. Nice job, congrats.

Gander but dont get that one I had the tubes fall out in the dark last year and was scrounging for the powder in the dark. Get the green power belt one that will go on your sling and just stick in in your pocket or on a zipper pull with a clip.

Oh yeah disregaurd with snow scraper in the first pick the wife wouldn't give me her brush to straighten the fur so I had to use the snow brush didn't get it out of the pick I see now blush