• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What did you learn about fishing - Spring/ Summer 2008??

Down Deep

What did you learn about fishing this Spring and Summer? Did you use any new equipment, tackle, tactics, places to go, etc. What worked, what didn't.

I learned that I really enjoy wading around small lakes fly fishing for bass and panfish. I tried all sorts of fly presentations and got pretty good a selecting a presentation and bug that would work. I also learned that this is a very peaceful and fun way to fish.

I learned that I like Gamma Line. Over the years I've tried just about every line that that came along and always had Trileen on my reels by the end of the season.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I tried power pro braid for the first time and really like that stuff. And I also had my first success with Gulp, I did pretty good with it this year. I had a pretty successful fishing summer, didn't catch quite as much as would have liked, but the season isn't over yet.

I started using baitcasters for the first time this year and I like them. I used them mainly for cranks, but I'm comfortable enough with them now that I want to try plastics with them as well.

I learned that the slot limit is working on my favorite lake. Had the best fishing trip, as far as catch rate goes, in a long time. I fish we could have caught more eaters, but at least I know the fish population is growing and is strong.

I learned to use my elec trolling motor more while fishing for eyes. I rewired it with some HD wires and bought a second battery. Now I can can run it for days on a long trip without recharging if I need to.

Still use Trilene XL. Have heard much about Gama as of late, so I might try it on one rod next year to see how I like it. I don't put it on myself because I've not had good luck doing it. To many twists (spinning reels).

I also learned that spending money on something you enjoy is a lot more fun then paying the bills! Of course I learned that a while back, but it still applies.

And one more thing, some of the best fishing is coming in just a couple more weeks! Don't put the stuff away yet! Short lines at the launch, lack of PWC and other ya-hoos, makes for a much nicer fishing experience.

I learned that if you put in the work you enjoy the rewards much more. Ok I also already new this but its always good to remind yourself/others.

I didnt have any stand out products except for maybe the Special Mate Boxes I use for sticks/cranks. In my opinion the best value in organizing and carrying your sticks/cranks/spoons.

I did learn that new fishing lines really arent getting much better but they are getting much more expensive. Yes there are some new lines that are good but I dont think they are so much better than other older lines (Trilene XT or XL)that the price should be double.

I agree that some of the best fishing is yet to come. Especially for the Crappies and trout/salmon.

Im sure everyone learned that the price of gas has made fishing a even more expensive sport.

Gas prices are forcing me to spend more time learning the waters closer to home, and I'm surprised at how good it can be.

I started this year with the goal of learning more about fish that aren't catfish... which is tough to do when there are so many good cats in this area. I've improved my jigging. I'm getting better at locating different species of fish (though I still have a looonng way to go). I'm getting a better grasp of the fundamentals of walleye fishing. I'm having more fun, even when I'm not catching anything.

I've learned that simpler is, in most cases, better. No need to get too complicated in rigging, usually. That has resulted in streamlining my tacklebox, which helps a lot on the water.

And finally, I've learned that some days, you just can't win. But it still beats yard work.

I learned to accept the fact that I can't fish as much as I'd like to. With another 1 yr old boy my time is limited. But what a trade-off it has been! The times I did get out I had pretty decent luck and somehow seem to enjoy and appreciate even more. Can't wait for the little guys to become my full time fishing partners...then the fun will really begin.

I've learned that I really really really need a boat.

I've learned that spring is not long enough, summer dog days are too long, and fall doesn't come fast enough....

I've learned...somewhat...to fish the St.croix! My first year there and what a beautiful river.

I've learned that while fishing on the St. Croix, you can catch an entire patio furniture collection, and apparel!

laugh

I learned that I can only fish so much on the shore before I get squeezed out by fellow shore anglers.

So I just financed a boat for the next 8 1/2 years...I will be learning it, this weekend...

So the question would be, how to jack up a trailer to take a brake assisted wheel off and repack the bearings...a lot a learning to do and I'm not a handy man at all.

I've learned that I can't just say "I'll go fishing when I get an open day" anymore.

Now I have to actually plan my times on lake x, y, or Z and MAKE it happen. Otherwise summer is past and I have no good answer about why I couldn't get out there.

We're all busy doing something. crazy

It also helps to have a fellow motivator who will go with most every time.