Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wall_guy_101

George W. Bush

51 posts in this topic

I started to think back on the legacy of Bush today and my conclusion to my thinking is that I do believe George Bush will some day go down as a great, I repeat great, president. Here goes.

Not long after his inaguration, 9/11 happened. It was the worst attack on our own soil since pearl harbor. The event's are still very vivid in my mind as i'm sure it is with everyone and I also vividly remember how united we were as a country and as a people. He, along with congress, made a decision from that point that, that everything would be done in his power to NOT let that happen again. It hasen't. Thank you George Bush.

The economy is, for alot of people, not very good. Reasons? Perhaps to many to blame. The most prevelant in my mind though are the oil prices. But there's one other thing i'd like to state. I recently was reading some of the 9/11 comission report and a line in their stated that "The falling of the towers, a financial mecca for the U.S., will have an economic impact that cannot be put into numbers." And with that statement I whole heartedly agree with. It seems that alot of people have forgotten that it was only 7 years ago. Hardly a time to overcome tens of billions, if not trillions of dollars.

My point, i guess, is that although I do NOT agree with alot of his policies or am trying to be a Bush backer, i'm simply stating that it saddens me when so many are trying to blame their personal ill's on a man who, I strongly believe, has puthis country first no matter howunpopular itiso alot of people. I think , given time, that people will look back on his legacy and truely admire the man for his stance on a lot of thingsthat,as of right now,seems so unpoplar.

GWB won't go down in history as a great president simply because he comes across as a stupid, smirking, spoiled frat boy.

I'm not using that to malign any successes he may or may not have had (and there will always be debate on what constitutes a success), simply that a great president needs to show that he/she has a mind at work, and Bush Jr. has not done that.

Could he have spent this last eight years hiding a Rhodes Scholar intellect in dunce's clothing? Sure, that's possible. I've been fooled before.

George Bush will some day go down as a great, I repeat great, president.

everything would be done in his power to NOT let that happen again. It hasen't. Thank you George Bush.

a man who, I strongly believe, has put his country first no matter how unpopular it is to alot of people.

Anything else from this "great president"?

wahka wahka wahka. This forum is like a horrible gruesome uneducated train wreck. I read all the fishing stuff, which is decent. and then I come down here and well................

I also certainly never said my statements would be popular.

Heck, posting in here ain't a popularity contest. It's bound to be an interesting thread, and I hope to learn something from it. I don't see it as a troll. Please, someone, show me how I'm wrong in my estimate of GWB. I've been wrong before, and sure am willing to admit it if I've misjudged this guy.

We can all pee and moan about Bush and his way of doing things, but it takes a lot more than just a president to either make things a success or failure. Congress plays a bigger part than the president. The Prez may have the position with the largest portion of power, but can be overruled by the rest of govt. I think we all just would like to either praise or blame a single person instead of the group.

Originally Posted By: wall_guy_101
I also certainly never said my statements would be popular.

Heck, posting in here ain't a popularity contest. It's bound to be an interesting thread, and I hope to learn something from it. I don't see it as a troll. Please, someone, show me how I'm wrong in my estimate of GWB. I've been wrong before, and sure am willing to admit it if I've misjudged this guy.

You're right Steve. I'd love to be proven wrong as well.

Please post specifics.

0653_homer-eating-popcorn-small-c78.jpg

Here's my most specific point.

From almost the beginning of his presidency a situation occured that has never occured before, by an enemy that is to cowardly to attack us full force. I believe he made it his reslove to do everything within his power to quell this enemy with whatever resources necessary and wherever they may be. And he has done a GREAT job!

I don't necessarily disagree with you here, wall guy, but the point about him being only one person is valid. He has powers, but in a case like this he is a figurehead more than a driver.

It would have been plain to any president that such action was necessary. Even a dunce would get it with his political advisers screaming in his ear the days after 9/11 that the American People Want Action.

He hasn't done a great job necessarily (which also doesn't mean necessarily that he hasn't done a great job). But the thousands and thousands of people who actually have had to perform the nasty tasks of increasing our protections from terrorism have done great jobs.

In our country, the president gets almost the sole credit for things that go right and the blame for things that go wrong. It's not a good way to think in either case, IMO.

And I also agree with you, on certain points, that our service men and women have done an outstanding job. But another point I'd like to make is that many HAVE been screaming in his ear about getting out of war and getting out now, but I commend him on his stance for continuing to support,that which ultimately is in america's best interest. The specific interest being defensive in nature.

This forum is like a horrible gruesome uneducated train wreck.

In response, those are my feelings on 99.99% of your posts/responses.

( I really lowered my level there huh)

Originally Posted By: BID2
This forum is like a horrible gruesome uneducated train wreck.

In response, those are my feelings on 99.99% of your posts/responses.

( I really lowered my level there huh)

OUCH!

In the words of fighter and bomber pilots that hit their target, splash.

So WG101, I don't want to put words in your mouth.

I am gathering the sole reason you feel GWB is a great President is because we were attacked on 9/11 and he ordered the invasion of Iraq???

I am gathering the sole reason you feel GWB is a great President is because we were attacked on 9/11 and he ordered the invasion of Iraq???

A twist to my post, albeit slight , but a twist none the less. I feel that he did what was asked of him at the time and has shown reslove in trying to maintain the security that is needed now and in the future. I'm saying that too much of the negativity, from economics, energy, war policy and national security is falling solely onto his shoulders. What i'm also saying is that there tends to be a knee jerk reaction to a situation if it isn't going perfectly at this present time. I'm saying that over time, say ten,twenty, maybe fifty years from now, hindsight will be put into consideration and hindsight will show that his policies were for the overall common good of the people. (atleast as he see's it) Which again, as we all know, dosen't always please everyone!

In the words of fighter and bomber pilots that hit their target, splash.

Shouldn't it be boom?

( I think I drank to many redbulls tonight)

Wow, some heaving hitting out there on this thread. smirk

I don't think he will ever be known as a "great" pres. Too many people hate him and like you said, blame him for what's wrong in their lives. I agree that no other president has had to ever deal with an attack like he had (course there are those that believe it was a consperisy). I've said it before, he will never be known as the best, but I don't think he was all that bad either.

Well just off the top of my head I can say this about the thread topic:

Bush Pro's:

- Best president since Clinton

Bush Cons:

- His handling of hurricane Katrina

- His role in the Valerie Plame leak.

- The deterioration of the Iraq situation.

- Reintroducing torture

- Calling the Constitution a “Goddarned piece of paper”

- The Patriot act

- Setting in place a domestic set of policies that are decimating the middle class, or conversely, creating an aristocracy

- Polls showing 81% of Americans believing he’s taken the country on the wrong track

- History News Network’s poll of 109 historians found that 61 percent of them rank Bush as “worst ever” among U.S. presidents.

- Totally destroyed any goodwill we had with the rest of the world

- Under Bushes leadership, or lack thereof, we have seen China become the manufacturing powerhouse of the next century, India becoming the worlds high tech leader, and Europe surpasing us as having the best quality of life.

And this all happening because Bush is spending all our money, and then some, on an ill conceived and poorly planned war.