• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whitetail Rut

I've been deer hunting in the Detroit Lakes area for the past 5 years. Since I've started bow hunting the last 4 yrs (where I've been in the woods prior to firearms), I've noticed the bucks start chasing the does on Nov 3rd. Not the 1st/2nd or the 4th/5th. Is this coincidence? Not being a biologist, I can't say for sure. I tend to believe it is just another remarkable way mother nature works.

Does anybody else notice a specific day? If so, and you don't mind giving up info, it'd be nice to know your latitude for comparisons.

I hunt the perham/deer creek area and Halloween afternoon is my favorite day of the year. I see alot of bucks on their feet chasing does and have shot some of my best bucks that day. I always make sure to hunt that day no matter what. The rut does get more intense with agrressive chasing a week or so after that, but then some bucks are already starting to lock down on a doe.

Nothing magic or biological about it, but Halloween is my favorite day to be in the woods.

For my area which is near Cannon Falls, THE time to be in the woods is from Halloween through the Friday before gun opener. I have killed 2 nice bucks in the last 5 years on this week and saw 5 shooters during this time last year (screwed up 2 of them...) all during legal shooting hours. I am excited for this year since the gun opener is about as late as it gets into November, being the 8th....!!!

I think the entire month of Nov can be great but it depends on how much pressure your deer get from gun hunters. I also prefer to take the week off before gun season to bow hunt.

I also prefer a little cooler weather since the daytime deer movement tends to be better when the temps are down.

If I was a bow hunter, I would like the month of December the way the winters have been lately. Snow always makes a better outdoor experience and better hunting with the colder weather. Although, in populated areas, the pressure from gun season seems to overwhelm the deer.

On the other hand, the heaviest activity I have observed for deer has been in Oct.

I too notice all the pre-rut sign, but as far as mature bucks right on the does it has happened exactly on Nov. 3rd. just like a switch was thrown. The next few years should be excellent bow hunting for me if the pattern continues. 5 full days this year of watching the bucks running around girl crazy before the gun hunters take the field. T- 5 days,15 hrs 20 min....

The last 5-6 years I've always taken the whole first week of Nov., the week before gun hunting starts, off for bowhunting. I havn't shot a huge buck but I've seen lots of activity. Face it, anytime between Oct. 15 and Thanksgiving is a good time to be out. Nice, crisp weather, fall colors, and lots of deer activity. One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen on my property had a doe 'corraled' on Thanksgiving day, with another buck hanging out, I still regret not grabbing my bow and going after him but I was hosting Thanksgiving that year. Live and learn.