Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jackpine Rob

The Country Mouse and the City Cats

84 posts in this topic

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I mentioned Sarah Palin to Mrs. Jackpine as my choice for Veep. God bless her, Mrs. Jackpine has better things to do most of the time, and simply said "Who?".

Like most of the country, she was totally unprepared for the appearance of Sarah "Barracuda" Palin on the national scene.

Since the announcement a week ago, which prompted my earlier post entitled "McCain hits a Grand Slam....", we have had a chance to witness the some grand drama and histrionics. And we're just getting started, unless I miss my guess.

What attracted me to the Palin candidacy, and will have my undivided attention 'til election day, is what I am now labelling the Country Mouse Syndrome.

I spent a fair bit of time tracking down and carefully reading the Op/Eds from such places as New York and Boston, all of them penned by women. The venom and vitriol was astonishing, but my surprise then turned to anger, then to wonder, and finally to pity.

Those gals don't get it. Sad to say, they never will.

Read the poor gal in the following link, and then go down and read the comments from her oh-so-learned East Coast sisterhood. Its truly sad - but read the link, and then come back to my comments.

http://warner.blogs.nytimes.com/

What the Warner chick and her followers really don't seem to understand is that there is a very big and real world outside the confines of their effete communities. Beyond the block their condominium/coop sits on is the real world, populated by real people. They simply have no clue how to deal with a motivated and intelligent woman - one who has grown up dealing with the real world.

They picked on Sarah's family, and she went on to deliver her speech a few nights ago, where she cut their boy BHO down to size, and did it with a grin. They continue to belittle her background and education and hometown. Sadly, they don't realize that in the real world it is folks like Sarah Palin who are the educated, erudite and accomplished people. The very institutions that the East Coast elite sneer at are surprisingly enough the superior institutions.

This is going to be even more fun than I could have hoped for. The Country Mouse is taking names and kicking @$$.

The Country Mouse is taking names and kicking @$$.

For now.

Can she stand up to it over the next two months? Can she reassure a jaded country that, if McCain keels over from cancer, she can step into the presidency and do a strong job?

Issues, shmissues. If she can be a force in the land, it's because of character, not issues. She partly showed her character in meeting the challenge of the RNC introduction to America. But an introduction is just that. Is there enough substance for subsequent chapters?

This will be VERY interesting.

Jackpine, interesting post, but I think you're off base this time.

The reason that intelligent, educated, "East Coast Sisterhood" types look down on Palin has nothing to do with what you've penned. It's simply that they were hoping that glass ceiling with "18 million cracks" would be broken by someone in the top 1,000 to be qualified to be V.P.

Instead, they got Sarah.

If you knew any "East Coast" types you'd know that. They're angry that someone in the ninety-seventh tier of women is the first one up for the Executive Branch (you can't count Ferraro, she had no chance!). Instead of Hillary, or Elizabeth Dole, or heck, even Carly Fiona or Condoleeza, we get a warm body who's going to "shake up the race".

So when "elitist" women are angry, that's why. You can say they don't "get it" but they do. This sista isn't part of the sisterhood, true, but she's also not qualified. Plain & simple.

All we've heard the past couple of days is how fired up the base is about Palin. It'll be interesting to see how that choice plays to Middle America when they realize she's one step behind a guy who's 143 years old. smile

Ah Max, you're making my evening!

What is "the sistahood" and just how are we to adequately judge the qualifications?

By any objective measure, Ms. Palin is at least as well qualified as the Presidential candidate for the Dems. That much is not even up for review or debate. Its a fact.

My point was, and you have taken the bait like a ravenous northern just after ice-out, is that she has been seriously understimated based on geography and social "class" (or more rightly, the lack thereof).

Like I said, this is going to be fun.

Heck, even Biden is showing signs of an intelligence I didn't know he was capable of in discussing Sarah Palin. His carefully chosen comments (not the usual Biden Bluster) point to a man carefully taking the measure of a formidable opponent. After all, this is the gal who took down Murkowski on his home turf.

And as for her opponent Joe Biden, the Beltway intellectual with a butt-load of experience..... Read on fellow travelers, for a little background on Mr. Biden. Please pay careful note to his class rating! Who was it again who said we needed the brightest and the best in high office????

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE3DB143FF93BA2575AC0A961948260

Ninety-seventh tier for Ms. Palin? We'll see.

I'm with you JPR. It will be interesting. I don't know how it will end, but one thing seems certain, and that is that Palin is probably the only one of the 4 candidates (Pres and VP) who could tell you how much a gallon of milk costs (just an example of a real person in the real world). Now, that doesn't mean by itself a qualification of the job, but to me and many people (I think) it makes me identify with her more, trust her more, and know (think?) that she is more like me than the others. Maybe not, but it makes me more comfortable.

I have also spent time in DC, with elites, and I know it is a different world there, whether we want it to be or not. I know that many/most of them have no clue what it is like outside their world, and we know little of their world, I even discussed it with many of them, including a cousin of mine in the "Business of Secrecy" world. So the DC game must be played, but I think it would be good to get someone like her in there, even in the VP spot.

As for the sistahood, I don't give a [PoorWordUsage] about the East Coasties, male or female. Bunch of fast talking, egotistical windbags IMHO, but they do hold power, so whoever has to deal with them must play the game. I just hope whoever it is can also change how the game is played... at least a bit.

Not sure who I will vote for yet, but go Palin, shake the heck out of them and I hope you do well!

Why has she not been seen on TV in any interviews this last week??? You think reporters would be all over her with questions regarding her policies. I want to hear her ideas on this country and the direction she would like to see it taken regarding US policy. No speech writer, no script, hard questions with hard answers.....

Quote:
My point was, and you have taken the bait like a ravenous northern just after ice-out, is that she has been seriously understimated based on geography and social "class" (or more rightly, the lack thereof).

Hahaha! I love catching pike just after ice-out. I was up in Canada over Labor Day & the biggest one we caught was a thick 36" fish that cut my buddies' leg open thrashing around in the boat. He was very angry! Thanks for the complement. smile

My point was that many women, & not just the Sisterhood, are upset because if McCain was looking for a well-qualified candidate, she wasn't it. He could have gone in many other more productive directions.

That said, I think if the 'scandals' don't hurt her, it was a canny choice. A lot of folks who don't pay a lot of attention to the election are going to be drawn to her because she's a feisty woman with a working-class background. If she can avoid making any grotesque mistakes or getting entangled in her past, she'll be an asset to the ticket...I think.

I finally had to sit down with my wife's US magazine last night to get the scoop on the Palin's family & some of the Alaska 'scandals' (I just felt my manly rating drop...oh, wait, I'm a liberal, never mind!). Frightening when US is publishing info that I haven't yet seen in the mainstream media. And those picture of Halle Berry...sorry, different board. smile

I agree with you on one thing. This race is going to be interesting.

All Media, FOX, ABC, MSN, US magazine and all the others are just a bunch of sorry saps looking to sell magazines or get you to watch their lame TV programming. I do not take one thing they report with a grain of salt. You can spin any story you like. Fair and consistent reporting takes morals and values.....these things are GONE in the media. All the above did in the interview is dodge the question...slime!

I wish there really was a way to learn about the candidates. One would have to be able to sit down with them and ask the questions yourself if you wanted to get a true read on them. One on one......

Talk about a pit bull in lipstick, she hung that guy out to dry.

He sounded like a first class one-who-thinks-I-am-silly. crazy

JP, I read the blog. Thanks for posting it.

I will agree with you, the blog demonstrates that Warner is a bit out of touch. Luckily I won't be relying on her to make my decision as to who to vote for.

Good for Fox. Defending the Conservative base. That's they're mandate, after all. I'm glad that anchor, or whomever she was, wasn't packing heat, or the US Editor would have been toast. Perhaps he should stick to who's dress is best!

I laughed out loud when I heard her say "We're interested in fair & balanced reporting". That's funny stuff coming from someone so obviously angry her new favorite conservative has been unfairly questioned!

I'd support her for V.P. She's a reporter, so she's as qualified as Palin. smile

Why has she not been seen on TV in any interviews this last week??? You think reporters would be all over her with questions regarding her policies. I want to hear her ideas on this country and the direction she would like to see it taken regarding US policy. No speech writer, no script, hard questions with hard answers.....

Well, McCain wont put her out there to answer anything on her policies. If they do it will under a controlled environment.

The McCain party does not want to run the risk of her being in the position of answering questions on previous actions she has taken.

Like the abuse of power Two separate occasions that are in question. The fact she has gone to at least one meeting of furthering the cause of Alaska seceding from America and her husband being a big supporter in this. The flip flopping of the bridge to nowhere. The censorship of a library then firing librarian because she would not remove books from library.The fact she and McCain continue misrepresent and lie on the details of selling jet on hsolist and for a profit.

They sure don't want to open the discussion on her stance on abortion.

McCain is afraid to let her campaign on her own. Heck he canceled an CNN interview when he was asked what if any emergencies has Gov Palin had to use the national guard. He said that was over the line and cancels interview

I just dont understand the hype behind this person runnig for VP. How does someone blindly follow someone. We have no idea where she stands on policy and the McCain party wont let her discuss policy.

The Alaskan Independence Party's goal is the vote we were entitled to in 1958, one choice from among the following four alternatives:

1) Remain a Territory.

2) Become a separate and Independent Nation.

3) Accept Commonwealth status.

4) Become a State.

Nobody has said what option of these four that Governor Palin's husband believes in. I'm sure a lot of people have brought their spouse to something they didn't have much interest in, but because they attend doesn't mean they automatically are a member or believe in it.

Maybe more people should be doing some research instead of spewing garbage much like the bloggers living in their parent's basements, who's vain attempts to smear Governor Palin are failing. Half-truths and lies are the tools of the Democratic party, so I probably shouldn't be surprised at those claims of Governor Palin and her family.

I apologize if any of you live in your parent's basements and are offended by this. loser2.gif

Press release with corrections from the AIP Chairman, Lynette Clark.

Most recently I have pulled the entire record regarding the Alaskan Independence Partys' 1994 Convention file. I went through all the video, audio and paper records for that function. Something I should have done earlier before making the statement that Governor Palin was a member of the Alaskan Independence Party. For that I humbly apologize to Governor Palin, and, to both national and local press, and media.

I, foolishly, repeated and accepted as fact what an officer of this membership shared with myself, and husband Dexter Clark, over a year ago. My statement was incorrect regarding the Governor's membership. What was correct was that Todd Palin was a member, that Sarah as a candidate for Governor appeared at the AIP Convention in 2006, and sent a welcoming DVD to the membership at the 2008 AIP statewide convention. Those truths do not take away my fault in mis-speaking regarding her membership. For that I do take full responsibility. I hold Governor Palin in high regard, I believe she is far and away the best individual Alaska could have as Governor, and as a woman, mother and wife is one of the best examples walking!

Thank you and again, I apologize to all.

Limit, Are you not worried she is going to censor library books??

006-Laughing-EmoticonKingcom.gif

Or some meeting she went to years ago??

006-Laughing-EmoticonKingcom.gif

Talk about a pit bull in lipstick, she hung that guy out to dry.

He sounded like a first class one-who-thinks-I-am-silly. crazy

That was awesome. She tore that guy up for real. I don't think he'll show his smarmy smile on TV for a while. laugh I like at the end when he said "I home your readers will read it" Did he even know he was on TV?

Good for Fox. Defending the Conservative base. That's they're mandate, after all. I'm glad that anchor, or whomever she was, wasn't packing heat, or the US Editor would have been toast. Perhaps he should stick to who's dress is best!

I laughed out loud when I heard her say "We're interested in fair & balanced reporting". That's funny stuff coming from someone so obviously angry her new favorite conservative has been unfairly questioned!

I'd support her for V.P. She's a reporter, so she's as qualified as Palin. smile

I agree with you. We are so used to hearing he Democratic side of things from all the other media, it's hard to believe they don't jump on the left side of the tracks huh?

The opponents to the Obama campaign continue refer to his connections to curtain people and then judge him as having bad character. Then ignore examples given to you of character of one you support.

Limit out you talk about half truths I think you should listen a little more closely at what your candidate is saying.

Am I worried about censorship from her? No. Does it show a bit of character and beliefs she has? Yes. I stand behind my conviction that censorship is bad.

As far what is their involvement in the organisation on secession who knows what it is besides her. Does it lead me to question it. It does. Was my comment over the top and less than tacktful I agree it was. It still raises questions.

I don't blame you for defending her. I would expect no less. Its to bad the McCain party believes we don't have the right to know her positions on life and issues rather then the personality of the candidate. Maybe down the road we will get see who she really is, though I have my doubts that will happen.

Ya one can use the argument she is running for VP and not for president. Still the VP spot is a very important position and we should know about both candidates and position on issues.Dont forget the VP does more than sitting behind a desk waiting to pinch hit.

Another thing that comes into question is how much does religion play in her decision making. This is where sencorship may be tied to. These are questions that are raised and being ignored

Half-truths and lies are the tools of the Democratic party,

To be fair and balanced, we must acknowledge they also are the tools of the Republican Party. And any other political party.

The TV reporter who ripped the US editor a new one was just as biased in her way as the so-called liberal media are biased in theirs. It was fun to watch, I gotta admit, because she made the guy look like a second-grader who just pulled his pants back up after a spanking, but she was simply attacking with the idea of putting him in the ground rather than reporting.

Nice post stfcatfish.

"To be fair and balanced, we must acknowledge they also are the tools of the Republican Party. And any other political party."

You sound like somebody with a level head who does need to pass judgement to get their ideas across. Unlike the poster before.

The TV reporter who ripped the US editor a new one was just as biased in her way as the so-called liberal media are biased in theirs.

So instead of extracting the truth from this biased magazine editor you'd rather let it slide and let the public believe that Governor Palin is the one telling the lies, as the cover tries to convey, rather than showing it's the left-wing magazine that's telling the lies?? Hmm.