• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taking the plunge into muskie fishing

ZEEK1223

I just bought my first muskie rod, and 6 new muskie lures($400 investment by the way). I plan on hitting it pretty hard here in the next month. I told my neighbor my plans, and he said I was wasting my time. He said that muskies are a warm water fish, and only bite when its hot. Please give me some info to shove in his face!!!!!! That would be great......

Zeek... just do some searching online for muskies... and you'll see that there are PLENTY of monsters being caught in the fall.. People would usually fish for them til the lake froze completely over... and now its Dec 1st being the closed season...

Oh my is your neighbor wrong. This is THE TIME of any time inthe year to get out for muskies. In fact, I typically back off the muskies during the warm water months and target bass, then get full board again come september through october (november weather permitting). A couple reasons I back off in the warm summer months is 1. warmer water (80 degrees) is not good on muskies, they may be a top notch, bad arse preditor, but they are really kinda wimps when it comes to being a hardy fish. 2. too much recreation traffic out there in the mid summer. 3. in the september through autumn months, these things start putting on the feedbag for the winter and are as big as they will be throughout the year. 4.... I guess I dont have a 4th reason. But either way, your neighbor is either totally wrong or is a musky fisherman himself and is trying to keep you off his waters! Enjoy the fun, but always remember to keep your head up. Chances are very high that you will go many outings without boating a fish. Its all about the anticipation of your next fish or next follow. Good luck !

Was out on the water this morning, and for the first time this year, I could count the number of boats on the water with both hands. Landings get empty, water cools down and the fish put on the fall feed bags. Get the bobbies and suicks out and start catching.

You neighbor doesn't sound like he should be giving out any advice in the area of Muskies!

Your guy next door is dead wrong, Fall is the best without a doubt, and welcome to the insanity we know as Muskie fishing,

now you have some gear you'll not want to forget a Good net, Knipex Mini Bolt cutters and 13 inch long nose pliers as well thats the most important part, also some seemingly forgotten Muskie etiquette, give people fishing their space, it really seems that this has become a problem for allot of lakes, I'm glad your getting in, once you see her you'll sell the Bass and Eye gear.

Have fun and good luck