Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
menomax

Trout on the St. Croix

12 posts in this topic

Caught a Brown Trout on the upper St. Croix. I've fished this river system for almost 16 years and have never seen or heard of any trout caught on the Croix. I know that the Trade has trout along with other tributaries. The trout was about 17" so a good size and had a lamprey attached on it, right behind the fin. That is the second fish that I caught with a lamprey on it. The DNR says not to worry, they are native and will not kill the fish. Has anyone else caught a trout on the St. Croix???

I've never caught a trout in the St Croix but I have heard that people have caught them down by where the Kinnikinic River empty's into it. 1DIRTBALL

Never heard of trout being on the Croix. That's new to me. You should put this in the Croix forum and see if any of the old dogs on the river have seen them.

wow, this exciting news laugh i've never caught a trout before...now theres a very slim chance i just might

woot

I have caught one while fishing the mouth of a feeder creek in the spring and also have a buddy that caught one up near Osceola last spring. Overall, I think the water is too warm for the trout to survive in the main river but they may hang out near the trib mouths where the cooler water dumps in. Just makes the Croix more fun to fish because you never know what your gonna hook into!

Tunrevir~

When the water cools down in the fall, the trout may venture into the main river system.

I was born on the St. Croix and fished the river below the dam at Taylors Falls every day as a kid. I have caught three trout in that area, two Rainbows and a Brookie. There is a trout hatchery on the Wisc. side and they may have been from there.

menomax mentioned the Trade River, that is well upstream from Taylors Falls.

have seen 1 browwnie i the croix and a few more in the mississippi. pretty rare to find one in august or september. fiarly common for the to wander the bigger rivers when the temp is right. if you don't mind; what did the trout bite on? Low light or midday?

In high school I had a buddy catch a 18" brownie near the mallileu dam in north hudson. He was on the backside of a spillway, must of come over the dam and all the way down from willow river, pretty interesting what you can catch on the croix!!

Youngie22-

I caught him mid morning in very bright sun using a Husky Jerk. Had a muskie follow just before I caught the trout. It was cool 'cuz I watch him come out of some logs and chase the lure. If you know that part of the river it's not very deep so a guy looks for deeper cuts. The locator wasn't working, but I would think that it came out of 3' of water and hit the crank bait in about 5'

Memomax