• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bait casting reel

dairyman

I just recently bought a new bait casting reel and put a spool of spider wire on it------------what a mistake!!!!! I can't cast with it as the line buries it self in the spool. What type of line do you use on the reels???? Frustrated!!!!!!!

I had some Spyderwire Stealth 30# on a new baitcaster I brought. Used it because the store put it on for free. I'm pretty new to baitcasters (couple months), but I noticed it seemed to have a tendence to bury into the spool too.

IMHO for starting out, so far I have found Gama Copoly easy to work with - 12# is a good starting point. It is very limp, comes off the spool smooth, and doesn't want to spring off causing backlashes like some of the stiffer mono's or flouro. It is also fairly cheap.

Good Luck!

Dairyman, is this your first baitcaster? Or is your experience in using baitcasters primarily via trolling? Not to sound like an arse, but it does take some getting used to from a casting standpoint. I run 10 to 15 yards of mono tied directly on the bare spool, then put on the braid. I don't have any experience with spyder line, only Power Pro & Fireline. But once you get your reel tuned up for the bait your throwing, it will rarely backlash or get cinched up (dug into) the spool, it just takes some practice. When I first got into baitcasters (6 or 7 years ago) I practiced in the back yard and suffered through lots of backlashes & line digging into the spool. Keep at it and try not to get too frustrated, another thing I found that helped me out big time was to put a thicker diameter line on. Thicker means easier time in digging out backlashes, as you get more proficient in the casting, you can thin out your line. The key is practice & patience.

I have 10# Fireline on one of mine and 14# Fireline on the other (both Citicas). These are my first 2 baitcasters and I haven't had any issues thus far, but it sounds like I may want to go to some heavier line based on the suggestions here.

I use 20 and 30 lb power pro with a 10lb mono backer and it works great! Deitz has a good point about the diameter. On a side note....I prefer the power pro for casting and it doesn't collect water like firelire and spider seems to...

I have used mono backer with Power pro and have had very few if any issues at all. It casts well and I have pulled in 30-45# fish without burying the line in the spool. Very few if any issues with backlashes also.

Same for me. No problems at all using the 8# or 10# Power Pro with a mono backing under it. I usually spool around 75 yards of 10# to 14# mono first on the reel.

Cliff

I just recently bought a new bait casting reel and put a spool of spider wire on it------------what a mistake!!!!! I can't cast with it as the line buries it self in the spool. What type of line do you use on the reels???? Frustrated!!!!!!!

If it's a deep spool then any braid will bury onto itself if you don't pay attention to it. It's just like a spinning reel, sometimes you have to long cast and cinched up the line onto the spool.

Aside from that, I spool a lot of mono underneath so that I would have only about enough braid for about 60-75 yards or so. I usually count it for one hundred handle cranks. That's more than enough for one cast.

I thought I saw Pflueger President on clearance at Gander for $99 (nomally $140). It is the reel I learned to use a baitcastser on. I bought a number of higher end reels since, and this one I still use a lot - smooth and easy to use.

Abu Garcia Revo S is another nice reel IMHO. You can find them as cheap as $99. I have the SX version which is a little spendier, Casts far, very smooth (don't think it's mag breaks work as good as the centrifuge breaks on the Pflueger - not an issue if yo are good at thumbing. I've been told the S provides similar performance (unlike the SX, us uses centrifuge breaks).