• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

floating rope

2 of us are heading to lake minnitaki for 5 days next week and are bring our own boat. The outfitter we're staying at has a HSOforum that states Ont. regs require a whistle and a length of floating rope(among other things.) Well a whistle wasn't tough to find, but I haven't been able locate floating rope anywhere. I'm thinking of threading a couple styrofoam floats on a length of rope. Any suggestions? Also would like to try for lakers, have never fished them. Big jigs and tubes work at this time of year? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

For the lakers, I would suggest a 1oz saltwater jig and 4" white twister tail or slip a white tub on from the back. We usually use 3/4oz tube jigs and white tubs, but a guest brought up these saltwater jigs a few weeks ago and they work awesome.

When you see fish on the screen you can drop or reel up to them with half the time and half the resistance and they are heavier.

Also, with the stought hooks they don't bend out at all on the big ones.

I found some more on hsolist and ordered them last night, they are great.

And I think what they really want, is something floating on the end of that rope...like a ring buoy or a boat cushion, or even a milk jug. Something throwable that floats and is attached to the rope. Don't think the actual rope has to float.

Cowdoc, per Ontario and Canadian law, when bringing your own boat you need only comply with the regs that apply to your boat in your home waters. I've been bringing my own boat to Canada for years now and actually stay at a camp that is owned by the C.O.P. in the area. The laws can be confusing to say the least.

When using a Canadian camp operators boat, you must comply with their laws. Most camp operators provide what is needed, but I've heard of some bad experiences where they have not....

I always carry an emergency kit regardless of what the law states anyway, as many places you could end up are not easy to walk or paddle out of. Best to be prepared.....

Promised a report. Fishing was great! Never thought I,d find walleye fishing easy. The last few days we only fished them a couple hours before dark. No trophies, biggest was 24 inches, but all the 15 to 20 inch fish we could handle. Spent most of our time fishing for northerns and smallies. We caught plenty of both. Biggest northern was 36 inches and biggest smallie was 20 inches. Hard to find those in Mn anymore. Didn't have any luck finding the lakers, wind kept us off the last spot we wanted to try. Something to shoot for next time. Tried to post pictures but haven't figured it out yet. Cyberspace dinosaur I guess. We stayed at Northern Sunrise Outfitters and were treated very well. All in all a great escape from reality, it was over too soon. Thanks to all who replied.