• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a battery for my 12v trolling motor...

Katman

Question

I need a good battery for my trolling motor. Something cheap that will hold a good charge. Let me know what you guys use or what you have that has juice, stays charged long, and lasts a few years.

9 answers to this question

I've been running the DieHard Deep Cycle's from Sears for the last 6 years. I had my last one for almost 4 years before noticing a significant drop in charge capacity. I haven't tried out any other brands so I can't compare. Nothing bad to say about the DieHard's here. I've always been curious about the Optima's(good reviews) but just can't justify the $. Good luck!

I just bought a fleetfarm group 27 for mine for $69. So far so good. I'll give you the complete update in a year! I had it out for 6 hours straight one weekend and it didn't show any signs of slowing down. Otherwise 2-4 hours is all that it sees on a typical outing.

The standard 1 year free replacement and I'd have to look to see if it is prorated after that. I was using cheap walmart batteries only because I needed to power up a 12 volt outlet for the h20. I couldn't get a year out of those!!!!

I had been buying them in the spring which in my theory is the worst time to buy. Use them all summer put them away for winter and they don't work in the spring and the warranty is up. Buy it in the fall use it for a couple of months, store it over the winter and then have a couple of months to see if it survived or not. What do you think?

I've had very good results with (GNB?) Stowaways I purchased at Sam's Club roughly 8 years ago, give or take. I think they were around $60-$70 each at the time and had 24-month warranty.

Dunno if they even make 'em anymore.

My Stowaway Deep Cycle is roughly 5 years old and going strong. Just went camping last weekend using it Friday and Saturday driving my 40pd MinnKota and still had 3/4 charge when I came home.

I think you'll be happy with just about anything you choose as long as you take good care of it.

Get the highest reserve capacity/amp-hour battery you can afford, recharge as soon as possible after use, recharge slowly (talking strictly deep cycle here), maintain fluid level above plates, store inside during winter recharging periodically, and treat it with care.

Bob