Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katman

Looking for a battery for my 12v trolling motor...

10 posts in this topic

I need a good battery for my trolling motor. Something cheap that will hold a good charge. Let me know what you guys use or what you have that has juice, stays charged long, and lasts a few years.

I've been running the DieHard Deep Cycle's from Sears for the last 6 years. I had my last one for almost 4 years before noticing a significant drop in charge capacity. I haven't tried out any other brands so I can't compare. Nothing bad to say about the DieHard's here. I've always been curious about the Optima's(good reviews) but just can't justify the $. Good luck!

I just bought a fleetfarm group 27 for mine for $69. So far so good. I'll give you the complete update in a year! I had it out for 6 hours straight one weekend and it didn't show any signs of slowing down. Otherwise 2-4 hours is all that it sees on a typical outing.

The standard 1 year free replacement and I'd have to look to see if it is prorated after that. I was using cheap walmart batteries only because I needed to power up a 12 volt outlet for the h20. I couldn't get a year out of those!!!!

I had been buying them in the spring which in my theory is the worst time to buy. Use them all summer put them away for winter and they don't work in the spring and the warranty is up. Buy it in the fall use it for a couple of months, store it over the winter and then have a couple of months to see if it survived or not. What do you think?

Get the Fleet Farm battery as stated above. Then get a battery maintainer from Northern ($49) and leave it on all the time. Battery will last a very long time and always be full charged and ready to go with no hassles.

I've had very good results with (GNB?) Stowaways I purchased at Sam's Club roughly 8 years ago, give or take. I think they were around $60-$70 each at the time and had 24-month warranty.

Dunno if they even make 'em anymore.

I've got a Stowaway Deep Cycle that owes me nothing. Its got to be at least 7 years old. On the other end of the price spectrum my Interstate Gell Cell Deep Cycle is a couple years older and its still going as well.

My Stowaway Deep Cycle is roughly 5 years old and going strong. Just went camping last weekend using it Friday and Saturday driving my 40pd MinnKota and still had 3/4 charge when I came home.

I think you'll be happy with just about anything you choose as long as you take good care of it.

Get the highest reserve capacity/amp-hour battery you can afford, recharge as soon as possible after use, recharge slowly (talking strictly deep cycle here), maintain fluid level above plates, store inside during winter recharging periodically, and treat it with care.

Bob

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Seasons On The Stream
        Alpha trout at head of feed lane. Maybe in fast broken water Subordinates all over hole but not close to alpha. Cast into top most part of fast funnel. Alpha waiting part way down the skinny feed funnel. Best to hit fast water to hide the splash. When wading, wake control a large factor here. Stay out of water if you can. Make first cast count or will get only dinks in this hole.

Bigger trout from area wintering at bottom of slow water near the fast water. Not in fast water. Subordinates chased out of hole by bigger trout. Best to hit fast water to hide the splash. Cast into top of feed funnel and slow retrieve so presentation will get down to trout sitting on bottom just back from the end of the fast water.

Trout extra wary on sunny no vegetation winter outing. Don't slap hole with line. Stay out of the water when attacking hole. Will be a one fish "only" hole due to water clarity and zero vegetation in hole. Any smart fish will spook when one is battled and drug through this clear non-vegetated hole.
    • Good question, why didn't they find any more?  Did those two infected deer parachute in?  Were they dropped by a helicopter?  I find it fascinating they could get as far as Lanesboro and they only find two out of thousands.  Like I said, they're bad at conspiracy.    Policing the borders?  How about a billboard, a radio ad, or a twitter campaign?  How about having the highway patrol pull over anyone with hooves or antlers sticking outta their truck box or laying on a flatbed coming across the border on the interstate?    My wealth and land ownership shouldn't disqualify me from questioning the DNR.  It used to be a staple of a free country to question your government.  Somehow now it's more important to kneel before the all knowing DNR and take whatever they want to shove in our mouths?  If this is real science and a real mitigation effort, let's have a discussion about it.  If the DNR wants to stop this spread, why are they not welcoming with open arms feedback like mine when it comes to import enforcement, and an effective PR campaign?  Cause guess what fella, lots of deer got hauled home from all kinds of places infected with CWD by uninformed folks that are going to cut up those critters and throw the brains and spinal cords out in the woods at home.    So yeah, this is either a giant hoax, or the DNR has no idea what the hell they're doing. 
    • I just checked on the fans that I bought, there 4.7 inchs sq and 1.25 thick. I thought they were 5 inch thick but I was wrong. They are 110v and I think I will put one inside on the bottom plate and see how it works. And I like where you have your fishingstar.
    • Slowly getting the outside buttoned up 
    • Yea I had that idea too 
    • I saw three or four huts in the little wet area in the lake vadnais area just off country road F.   But they would probably get upset if you set traps there...    right next to the new path that goes south along the east side of the lake. 
    • In the olden days, pigs were fed garbage.  Trichinosis was a problem.  Then laws were passed so any garbage fed to pigs had to be cooked first.  Problem went away.   According to CDC there hasn't been a case of trichinosis except from eating wild game like bear meat for many years.  
    • From a quick google search it looks like waveinn.com or the bay of e might be your best bets, if you don't want to buy from shimano.
  • Our Sponsors