• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jerusalem Artichoke

It was a pyramid type scam to get people to grow Jerusalem artichokes. They were promised a market to sell them, but that turned out to be a lie. The scammers went to prison for it. There were a lot of people taken in by that scam around the Marshall/Minneota area. There is a book written about it by Joseph Amato.

Did a google search and came up with 1981 as the year this happened. The guys were preying on the farmers who just came through the energy crisis, and were heading strongly into the farm crisis.

I was 13 at the time. grin

Married and moved to the SW corner of the state 7 years later, and they were still talking about it.

I was born and grew up in the farm belt (Wis. dairy farm and N.D. Red River Valley cropland), and graduated high school in 1980, the year before this apparently happened. Guess my first year at college was oriented toward things less newsworthy but more, ah, funworthy. gringrin