• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Go Go

Scott K

Quote:

With the Twins in the midst of a pennant race, manager Ron Gardenhire said Thursday that Carlos Gomez will see reduced playing time.

About time. Gomez was handed the starting center field gig in spring training and has held it all season despite hitting just .252/.289/.341 in 130 games. He's hit .230/.271/.289 with a hideous 69/13 K/BB ratio since June 1 and has just 11 steals over the past 80 games after running a ton early on. Denard Span will play center field when Gomez is benched, with Randy Ruiz and Matt Tolbert likely picking up additional at-bats.

Don't forget about Cuddy. He should be back in a couple of weeks.

Span is great in center, excellent range and a great bat.

GO GO is young and over eager at the plate. He is still learning.

What caused his downfall is the question that needs to be answered. Is he tired and worn out. Is he pulling out at the plate, tring to kill the ball. It should be hitting the ball where it is pitched, instead of trying to pull everything.

He has to find a way to get on base more. Once he is on base lots of things can happen, and your options increase.

G.C.

I dont know if Cuddy will rejoin the team unless we have an injury. He hasnt played in a few months, he hasnt seen a pitch, and there is no minor team for him to practice in for a few weeks to get back up to speed. Gomez will be a good bench player, and can be used as a pinch runner when needed.

I agree that Cuddy is a stretch, just looking at all options, for the playoff push.

Your right GO GO would be good bench player, if he would accept that role. I am sure he wants to play, but his bat has to come back to life. He does have spurts of bat life, but it leaves as fast as it came.

G.C.

Actually, it was Gomez's ball in center. The centerfielder takes precidence over any other fielder when he calls for the ball. Unfortunately, with 45,000 screaming fans they didn't hear each other calling for it. That is pretty much what Gardy said also in his post game comments. Great game though all around.

Absolutely correct. CF gets right of first refusal for anything he thinks he can get to. That said, Gomez's enthusiasm may have got the better of his judgement on that one. I can live with mistakes that come out of sheer hustle, though. The Twins have a ton of guys that will do whatever it takes to win and Gomez fits in with that. He just needs to bridle some of that unbridled energy and hustle.

Just re-asking the question, it seemed thateveryone thought the front office of the Twins were out of their minds that they didnt meet the offers of Hunter and Santana, I am glad they didnt, and I always was. A very smart move for our teams future!

I look at who we have on our team now, and there isnt one person I could say that we should dump and try to replace for next season, besides relief pitching. And even relief pitching, we have some bright spots on what we have! We also will be getting Neshek back next year. Look out for next year, lights out!