• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Still time for a Food Plot????

Hoping to get one last food plot in this fall. Planting oats, Austrian Winter Peas and Rape.

Do you think it will grow?? I know the oats will, fairly confident the peas will, but not sure if the rape will do anything.

Bemidji area, good moisture lately but cool temps.

I say give it a shot. Is it a no till blend? If so, little effort to get out there and get it going. I just did one with rye grass, clover and brassicas less than two weeks ago and it is popping up nicely and should last until the beginning of October or so after the deer hammer it.

Nope..not a not till...just oats from Cenex and Rape From Cenex and the peass hopefully from Frigid Forage. It is chisle plowed and hit with the disc. I need to work it more, but I was hoping the rain may have helped o break down the clumps. I wish that I would have burned first, but that was too risky a week ago. I may burn and work up one other spot this weekend too.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I think your time is up for getting rape or peas to get any growth before it stalls out due to the cool fall weather we have. Up there, you should have had those planted prior to Labor Day weekend.

Rather than oats, I would go with winter rye. MUCH hardier growing plant in the cool weather. The first frost will kill the oats off pretty easily.

With that said, if you have the seed, it sure cant hurt to try. But don't be disappointed if it doesnt work out. Its a crapshoot at this time of year.

winter wheat and winter rye are best planted 2nd weekend of september, yes bow opener. whether for harvest or wildlife. they also need a well prepared seed bed, as they are kind of a grass that establishes a quicker, deeper root system. the seed is also much more successfull if covered with dirt after broadcasting it, or better yet if drilled

My food plots are about an hour east of Bemidji. You're still okay with the oats or any other cereal grain, but the rape will not grow enough to do anyhting this year.

I'm not sure about the peas, I've only planted peas a couple of times and not had great results with them.