Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
swedishpimple

Still time for a Food Plot????

Hoping to get one last food plot in this fall. Planting oats, Austrian Winter Peas and Rape.

Do you think it will grow?? I know the oats will, fairly confident the peas will, but not sure if the rape will do anything.

Bemidji area, good moisture lately but cool temps.

I say give it a shot. Is it a no till blend? If so, little effort to get out there and get it going. I just did one with rye grass, clover and brassicas less than two weeks ago and it is popping up nicely and should last until the beginning of October or so after the deer hammer it.

Nope..not a not till...just oats from Cenex and Rape From Cenex and the peass hopefully from Frigid Forage. It is chisle plowed and hit with the disc. I need to work it more, but I was hoping the rain may have helped o break down the clumps. I wish that I would have burned first, but that was too risky a week ago. I may burn and work up one other spot this weekend too.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I think your time is up for getting rape or peas to get any growth before it stalls out due to the cool fall weather we have. Up there, you should have had those planted prior to Labor Day weekend.

Rather than oats, I would go with winter rye. MUCH hardier growing plant in the cool weather. The first frost will kill the oats off pretty easily.

With that said, if you have the seed, it sure cant hurt to try. But don't be disappointed if it doesnt work out. Its a crapshoot at this time of year.

winter wheat and winter rye are best planted 2nd weekend of september, yes bow opener. whether for harvest or wildlife. they also need a well prepared seed bed, as they are kind of a grass that establishes a quicker, deeper root system. the seed is also much more successfull if covered with dirt after broadcasting it, or better yet if drilled

My food plots are about an hour east of Bemidji. You're still okay with the oats or any other cereal grain, but the rape will not grow enough to do anyhting this year.

I'm not sure about the peas, I've only planted peas a couple of times and not had great results with them.