• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cool Water Temps = Sturgeon Fishing

SteveD

I was out last night chasing flatheads and the season has really shifted into the autumn mode. It was a clear night with calm winds and the water was flat as glass. Once that sun went down the air got cool and crisp. I was glad I had put on my lightweight long johns. I only managed one small channel cat - the flatheads are getting hard to find. The Twins lost a laugher in Toronto giving up 17 hits. I shut off the radio in the 8th inning I couldn't take it anymore. About 11:00 pm I could see the fog forming so I headed in and was glad I did. With my boat dock lights on it was hard to see but when I shut them off I had a better view of the horizon and the shorelines. I think I got off the river at just the right time or I could have been fogged in. The water temp was a cool 63 degrees when I headed in - those cooler water temps should turn on the sturgeon bite. Be careful out there this weekend.

Sounds like I might be making the trip over there on Sat. Thanks for the report. I'm surprised the temp dropped that much already.

Yeah that fog was something else last night. It took us 40 minutes to go 3 miles. smile and only a few speed bumps along the way.

Yeah, the fog was thick, but on the plus side, the fishing made it all worthwhile! The catching did leave something to be desired, with only 2 small channels and 1 small flat boated. Not only that, but the flathead came on my rod while I was dinking around looking at clam shells and crud 50 feet away...John had to catch it before it spooled my reel! Dangit. Would have been my first flathead in almost a month!

Hope the sturgies cooperate tomorrow night. We plan on getting out mid-afternoon and fishing later til maybe midnight or so. If the fish don't cooperate, there's always good scenery and it'll be fun either way.

Quote:
Anywhere to fish for them in the Mankato area?

From the DNR regulations:

Inland Waters

LAKE STURGEON Closed

or SHOVELNOSE

STURGEON

Canadian Border Waters

LAKE STURGEON

April 24–May 7 and

July 1–Sept. 30

1 per license year. (Fish must be 45-50 inches, inclusive, or

over 75 inches.) Immediately upon reducing a fish to possession,

you must validate and attach your sturgeon tag. Sturgeon harvest

must be registered within 48 hours. See page 49 for more details.

May 8–May 15 and

Oct. 1, 2008– April 23, 2009

Catch-and-release only.

(No tag needed.)

Wisconsin Border Waters

LAKE STURGEON *Closed (except as noted below)

Lake sturgeon may be harvested September 6 through October 15 on the

St. Croix River from Taylors Falls Dam downstream to the mouth at Prescott,Wisconsin.The possession limit is one per season and the minimum size limit is 50". The season is closed on all other waters except those along the Ontario-Minnesota border. (see page 44.)

*Sturgeon tag needed, see page 49 for details.

There are no inland lakes or rivers that you can fish for Lake Sturgeon. Your only options are St Croix in the the fall and Rainy River/LOTW.