• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Switched to AMSOil, I have a couple questions

Fish Fry Guy

I run a 95 Yamaha 25HP oil injected outboard. I bought it and the boat used in 2006. After hearing a lot of good experiences from switching to AMSOil, I made the switch in mid July. Here are my questions... Initially, I noticed the engine ran quieter and seemed smoother when trolling down under 2MPH, also, seemed like the smoke at start-up was reduced. I still feel that all of the above is still correct, but I'm noticing more smoke at start-up than before I made the switch. I'm not concerned with the engine or anything, but increased smoke after experiencing much LESS smoke after the switch seems weird. Should I be concerned about anything?

You say you have a 95' 25hp yamaha and its oil injected. What Amsoil oil are you using. I have an 05' 25hp Yami 2Stroke and its premix, I run Amsoil Sabre Outboard at 75:1. A bit of smoking at startup is normal.

I just bought a 95 Yamaha Pro 60 that's oil injected. I would like to switch to Amsoil hp, and was wondering do I drain the oil in the reservoir to make the switch, or just run it low? If so, how low?

I love the Saber for my ice auger, and want to do the best for the outboard.

Thanks

Folke

Thanks all for the reply's. I run AMSOil Interceptor, the smoke is white in color and only at startup. While in neutral and sitting for 15 seconds or so it dicipates, after the "warm up" neural period and running in forward or reverse it doesn't put out any smoke at all. Folke2000, when I switched over the oil level in my rez was very low, at the low oil light level. I didn't add any until that point because I didn't want to mix too much of the AMS w/the old oil. Since making the switch I have refilled up the oil rez full once.

Before the engine warms, getting to its optimal operating temp, its normal to see a little blue smoke. Another thing that is happening is the water won't circulate till the thermostat opens.

When it opens you have a rush of cold water hitting a hot surface therefore a little white smoke mixed in. Add the cool and drier air temps and its visually seem better.

To change it it better to minimize the mixing, but NEVER take a chance of running out! Most it is difficult to drain the oil tank, or at best very messy - Just run your current oil down to the warning light/buzzer level (most are around 1/4 tank)then top off with the AMSOIL HP Injector. The AMSOIL is compatable to mix.