• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "best" sled type portable?

slick2526

Love my otter but have seen a lot of others that look nice. Otters are very durable though. That being said, I would go as big as you can afford. I have a smaller cabin and would love to get the lodge. Try to go up to a three man even if you think you are only going to fish two. I'm a bigger dude and have taken another bigger dude out and fished a full day in mine without a problem. But it would be nice to stand and stretch and not be too tight. But I still love my otter.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's best for you may not be what's best for the next guy only a few really gave good info and thought to your question.

Size of car or truck you have will it fit

Are you pulling this by hand only

How many will be fishing with you

Bench seat or bucket

I own three different manufactured shacks and each one has it's pro's and con's.

On brand I don't have is a Shappel but in the two man it has two D doors in front so when fishing with some one less heat loss and no tripping on rods,heater or flashers.

Gotta go with Otter. A shell that breathes...unlike some of the other brands, including the other popular brand from Minnesota. Square tubing that is super strong. The biggest and toughest tubs. Windows that don't crack. Skirts that keep cold air from drafting in next to the tub. The most spacious packages out there, with the most ala carte options for things like rod holders, seats, travel covers, hitches, etc. Customer service that is second to none in the unlikely scenario where you do have an issue.

You get what you pay for...the Cadillac of fish houses.

I realllllly really like the ice camo magnum. I believe that is going to be the purchase. Any of you guys made a wood floor for the ice inside your portable? im really intrested with that idea. i was thinking some type of green treated or marine grade 3/8 plywood with some 2x2s to keep the floor up off the ice some.

IMO a wood floor is too clumsy and heavy and therefore makes you less mobile. I got some rubber foot pads from Menards for about $5 a piece. I store them in the tub when not in use and throw them on the ice when fishing to keep my feet off the ice / snow. Here is a picture of the mats.

winter07065.jpg

I'd have to agree with ToughGuy. If you really want a floor, you should consider a cabin style. Mat as pictured, works great. Good boots and a small heater will keep you plenty warm despite the open floor. Pack a small light shovel so you can use it to pack snow over the skirt on the exterior botgom edge of the tent - really helps keep the draft out.

You'll love the Magnum/Lodge size package - very roomy.

Speaking of packing snow on the skirting. Dont use slushy snow or it can freeze in the skirting and thats a real treat to try and get out on a COLD day.

I found the solution to that problem. Soderblooms makes "Snakors" that are canvas tubes that you can fill with sand or a sand/shot mix. They fold up nice and store well in the tub. Extra weight at 1st ice but once we get good sledding/wheeler ice they are the best thing I have found for keeping out drafts and holding the skirting down.

Check them out at www.soderbloom.com

IMO a wood floor is too clumsy and heavy and therefore makes you less mobile. I got some rubber foot pads from Menards for about $5 a piece. I store them in the tub when not in use and throw them on the ice when fishing to keep my feet off the ice / snow. Here is a picture of the mats.

Thats a great idea, I can't believe I didn't think of that!!

I bought the wilderness walleye from otter last year and a window cracked without being abused. It's a bear to haul in deep snow too. However I would buy another otter house because of the quality of the sled and ease of put up and take down. I have some pretty good boots but even so I don't really understand why you would need a floor. I would try different socks before hauling a floor around.

I also use the fatigue matts and they do help but nothing is better than good boots and socks. I wear Ice Kings a size too big with a good wicker sock and some smart wool socks.

Also eat well before and during fishing and dont drink too much caffiene. Avoid booze as well.

Do thoose rubber pads really work that well? by looking i find it hard to believe it would make that big of a difference than just having your feet on the ice.

Everytime ive ever fished in a portable w/o a floor my feet have became very cold and the boots i had were not that cheap either. I think i will try the floormat idea and see how it works.

Also do you guys think your otters pull hard? it wont be often i will be pulling by hand but sometimes i will be.

I have had or used almost every house out there except the Insulated ones and my Otter pulls no harder than any others.

If anything the big sloping front helps get on top of snow where some brands tend to plow more.

As far as the fatigue matting helping I think it does. Anything you can do to get your feet off the ice, no matter how little, it helps. I have friends who made carpeted plywood squares and that really helps but they are heavier and tend to freeze in more often.

If your the type that gets cold feet no matter what boot you have on take a look at your diet. Also getting up and stretching or just taking a short walk to get blood moving really helps.

All of the above are good. I've fished out of both the Otters and the Fish Trap as well as Cabelas. I currently own the Fish Trap Pro, Clam 5600, and the Cabelas basic house. I love my Fish Trap Pro but I move a ton and for one guy, it's almost perfect. However, I wish I had a tad more room for all the stuff I bring with. Rods, Vex, Marcum Cam, etc. Get the biggest thing you can based on how you transport it. I mostly walk and pull depending where I'm at and the Pro pulls pretty easy even without runners. You can't go wrong with whatever you choose. All good.

Do thoose rubber pads really work that well? by looking i find it hard to believe it would make that big of a difference than just having your feet on the ice.

Everytime ive ever fished in a portable w/o a floor my feet have became very cold and the boots i had were not that cheap either. I think i will try the floormat idea and see how it works.

Also do you guys think your otters pull hard? it wont be often i will be pulling by hand but sometimes i will be.

I haven't used the pads, though I think I'm gonna get some, I use 1x12 pieces of wood. Just gets your feet off the ice and it does help.

The otter I have is tuff to pull by hand if there is snow. No snow and it's fine. Put hyfax on the bottem and it saves the sled and makes it easier to pull. Mine is also modified and it adds a lot of weight. If you are going to pull by hand, then try to keep it as light as possible.

The pads work great. You would be suprised how much of a difference it can make getting your boots off the ice just an ince. On warmer days I've fished in regular shoes. The sell them at Menards for a few $$ a piece. Couple these with a decent heater and I'll fish at 20 below. Yes shnapps helps too.

They will pull hard when there is snow on the ice. By the time you toss in the heater, the auger, vex, a shovel, beer, rods, radio, tip ups, bait and LP tank it's a full load. I got an extra sled the same size of my portable on clearance (50% off) at the end of the season a few years ago. I stack it under my portable tub when in the back of my truck. when I'm on the ice I throw all the equipment in it and make my buddy pull that. You can make it with one sled (I did for years) but you'll either be winded or you'll have to trade off with a pal on the pull in and out. You may be in better shape then I am too so it may be ez for you. (there's a good chance)