• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help with purchasing a new lawn mower!

esox49

Guys/Gals,

I need some ideas on purchasing a new PUSH lawn mower later this fall or next spring. I have around 1 acre of lawn to mow with numerous trees and small gardens. I want something self propelled, and a lot of power. I prefer a minimum of 6hp for mulching longer grass and leaves in the fall. I would like the option to bag also, but 99% would be mulching. I have had a John Deere the last 10 years, but the main shaft just broke on it and it will cost a lot to fix it. Plus, I do not know if I want to spend $800.00 + on a new John Deere.

I want something DEPENDABLE! Any suggestions? Price range would be up to $650.00 if needed.

Thanks for the help!!

If you want something powerful (6+ hp), bags / mulches and self propels, you're going to be looking in that $800 range.

I suppose you could watch at the big box stores for clearance items, but most of those will be 5 hp or less.

I know Toro makes excellent high end push mowers, complete with cast iron decks, oil filters (yes on a push mower) but you're going to be pushing the $1,000 mark. However, if you watch hsolist, you could probably find a new one pretty quick for that $800 mark.

Other than that, Honda makes good push mowers to.

I bought a new mower last season and ended up going with a Toro Personal Pace mower with electric start. Its a mulcher with the option to bag or side discharge. I think I paid somewhere around 400-500 dollars. I have been very, very happy with it. I think the Toro line of mowers are worth checking out. Good Luck.

Cliffy

I would go with Honda, get the Top model, without the electric start. Great warranty and easy starting, along with a blade engage so that the motor stays running when you need to stop to pick something up. It also comes with variable speed control, a plus when the grass gets long. The twin blade chops the grass to less than 1/2" pieces to make great mulch for the lawn. Best part, starts on first pull every time with a real easy pull, my Grandma could start the mower with a broken arm if needed.

I've got a Toro top of the line personal pace mower with the automotive style oil filter. I bought it 3 years ago ($575). It has a five year bumper to bumper warranty. This is the second Toro personal pace mower I've had. They are the best.