Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esox49

Need help with purchasing a new lawn mower!

9 posts in this topic

Guys/Gals,

I need some ideas on purchasing a new PUSH lawn mower later this fall or next spring. I have around 1 acre of lawn to mow with numerous trees and small gardens. I want something self propelled, and a lot of power. I prefer a minimum of 6hp for mulching longer grass and leaves in the fall. I would like the option to bag also, but 99% would be mulching. I have had a John Deere the last 10 years, but the main shaft just broke on it and it will cost a lot to fix it. Plus, I do not know if I want to spend $800.00 + on a new John Deere.

I want something DEPENDABLE! Any suggestions? Price range would be up to $650.00 if needed.

Thanks for the help!!

If you want something powerful (6+ hp), bags / mulches and self propels, you're going to be looking in that $800 range.

I suppose you could watch at the big box stores for clearance items, but most of those will be 5 hp or less.

I know Toro makes excellent high end push mowers, complete with cast iron decks, oil filters (yes on a push mower) but you're going to be pushing the $1,000 mark. However, if you watch hsolist, you could probably find a new one pretty quick for that $800 mark.

Other than that, Honda makes good push mowers to.

Toro Toro Toro. They are well worth the money. Its a high quality Minnesota product. I know many people who have traded their Honda Harmony in for Toro's after less then a season.

I bought a new mower last season and ended up going with a Toro Personal Pace mower with electric start. Its a mulcher with the option to bag or side discharge. I think I paid somewhere around 400-500 dollars. I have been very, very happy with it. I think the Toro line of mowers are worth checking out. Good Luck.

Cliffy

toro

cub cadet dunno if they make a pusher tho

I know its tough to fork over the dough but in the long run its uaually worth it

Toro Personal Pace just like the one my wife has. Best she ever had.

I would go with Honda, get the Top model, without the electric start. Great warranty and easy starting, along with a blade engage so that the motor stays running when you need to stop to pick something up. It also comes with variable speed control, a plus when the grass gets long. The twin blade chops the grass to less than 1/2" pieces to make great mulch for the lawn. Best part, starts on first pull every time with a real easy pull, my Grandma could start the mower with a broken arm if needed.

I've got a Toro top of the line personal pace mower with the automotive style oil filter. I bought it 3 years ago ($575). It has a five year bumper to bumper warranty. This is the second Toro personal pace mower I've had. They are the best.

Toro Personal Pace. I have always had it started by the 1st pull.