• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The perfect shell

I've only hunted wild pheasants 2x in South Dakota, both times the first week of December. I had AWESOME luck with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 2 3/4", 6 shot, 1 3/8 oz, velocity 1485. This stuff was heads above the Federal ammo I was using. Not sure what to say about steel though.

I saw where one guy said he carries both steel and lead and pass shoots waterfowl. I always thought it was illegal to be in possession of lead shot if you were shooting waterfowl? Anybody know the answer to this one?????

Thanks,

Brian

If you are hunting waterfowl, you cannot use lead shot and you need to have your plug in the gun. If you are hunting pheasant, and shoot at waterfowl, then you are hunting waterfowl and those regulations apply...that is the way I understand it.

A lot of the places I hunt, it is not unusual to come across waterfowl when hunting pheasant. As a result, I only use/carry non-toxic shot and always leave my plug in the gun. Never any confusion.

Lets keep this going since everyone shots a different style-and shotgun... Looking yesterday at Black cloud at 19 dollars a box. I would go with 4 shot, but would be nice to here if any of you have taken pheasants with these shells. I did here they put nice holes in a ducks so let them get down range

I straight up use steel. I dont hunt one specific place all season, so when I hunt wma's I want to be used to shooting the same thing. My pheasant preference is 2 3/4inch 5 shot. It patterns very well out of my gun, and I always seem to kill alot of birds with it. As far as for grouse, I'll use anything 5 and higher. Grouse are weak birds, it doesnt take much to bring em down.