• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

line twist problems?

fishcast

Recently I have been throwing 80lb masterbraid and its been twisting too much with the lures I am using. I have been using multiple lures but the most likely causes may be the pacemaker and shumway giant flasher I have thrown? The swivel I was using is a 130lb spro power swivel. Another guy I have been fishing with throws regular inline bucktails a lot with a swivel that appears to turn less easy than the spro, and has no twist issues.

Any help on cutting back on line twist would be appreciated.

What kind of reel are you using?

Help me out...twisting up on the reel, or the lure spins if you hold it vertically with a few feet of line out? Back end of the Pace turns, but not the front....that lure shouldn't be twisting up the line......

What kind of reel are you using?

Help me out...twisting up on the reel, or the lure spins if you hold it vertically with a few feet of line out? Back end of the Pace turns, but not the front....that lure shouldn't be twisting up the line......

c3 6500

the lure spins when holding it out of the water vertically kind of twist

It may be the pacemaker cause often the whole body was rolling I think. It sounded good, but I'll have to check it out. I think it has a slight bend between the body and the prop part of the body that may be causing it.

Not sure why its twisting, but the best way to straighten it is to take all terminal tackle off and let your line out while keeping the boat moving. I'd at least let it out to the backing. If you keep the boat in gear there will be enough drag so that as you crank it back in you'll be in good shape. This works quite well on even the lightest line with spinning gear.

Good luck - erik

Doesn't work as well on superlines or braids, I found out. Still works to some extent, but works much better on mono... a key thing to know when bringing kids fishing, who crank faster against the drag then just reeling in, ha! Mark M twisted my "cabin rod" lines up pretty good, heh, so it is not just kids who can mess up lines smile .

I had a guy buy a Record 2 weeks ago and I spooled it up with 80LB Masterbraid and he bought a 600 ys spool for his other reels after I told him how good it was. After 2 days, he ended up with the same problem as you. He thought the line was junk and we couldn't target the problem so I returned all the masterbraid and filled all his reels with 80LB Stealth (thats what he had on before and liked). I love Masterbraid. I even told him where we were going to be fishing later that day and I wanted him to come out and I would give hime one of my rods to use for a couple hours to show him what I was talking about. Well he never came out and I talked to him last week and he loves the Stealth.

Does your leader has ball bearing swivils on both ends or just one? just a thought.

A buddy showed me how to tune a pacemaker and it has worked wonders. Unscrew the back screw eyelet 2 turns so it is symetrical. Add a splitring to it and cut off the hook part of the treble if it hasn't already been done so there is hust a shaft. Mine really run nice after that. Not sure if it works with the new Pacemakers because I won't buy one.

Hope this helps a little

another reason i went back to regular ball bearing is that the spro ended up in the rodtip quite a bit. think about a boatside hit with that thing stuck up in your tip - not a pretty picture.

your pacemaker might be twisting on the cast too.

Quote:
Lose the spro - get some ball bearing swivels, expensive but worth it - problem solved.

i second that. although ''power swivel'' sounds awsome, they are strong for size, they are no better than a barrel swivel and maybe even worse at line tie twists. ball bearing swivels were invented ohhhh, i don't know for sure, ever since i can remember. they cost several times more per and are still around. goes to show they must have a use or they'd be gone for sure. ball bearing only for any and all casting/trolling situations is my mantra. even when i don't really need it, like spinnerbaits or cranks. goes for walleyes rigging, or that type tecnique too for me. good luck.

Does your leader has ball bearing swivils on both ends or just one? just a thought.

A buddy showed me how to tune a pacemaker and it has worked wonders. Unscrew the back screw eyelet 2 turns so it is symetrical. Add a splitring to it and cut off the hook part of the treble if it hasn't already been done so there is hust a shaft. Mine really run nice after that. Not sure if it works with the new Pacemakers because I won't buy one.

Thanks for the help guys.

I never thought it was the masterbraid I just mentioned it, I used 30lb masterbraid all summer on one rod for other species and really liked it.

The whole body rotates on my pacemaker if I reel more than a moderate/slow pace and thats what has been causing the twist. I really like the looks and sounds of it, just not the line twist. But I have ball bearing swivels coming in the mail that should help it I hope.

Is there a reason to put ball bearing swivels on both ends? never heard of that

Thanks for the mod. tips, but was that cause it was spinning and having problems? or do you just like the mod. better?

Also, did they replace the previous pacemaker? (I think I have on of the regular/original ones) If so anyone know why? (I haven't fished skies for very long but just wondering)

I chatted with Ty Sennett (He invented and makes those pacemakers) at the Thorne Bros Annual Spring Sale... He said the reasons for the switch from wood to plastic was that plastic were cheaper and easier to work with, plastic is more durable than wood so they would last longer, and that his plastic pacemakers works better than his old wood ones... I have both...

Its very easy to tell the difference... in the new Pacemakers, they have this depressed area on the head, and the eyes are depressed into the body... whereas on the old one, its all cylindral... no depressions or anything... colors works in telling the difference unless its a custom... old wood ones has lace patterns while new ones doesnt...

Guy's,

Always go with the Ball Bearing Swivels. If you make your own leaders make sure they have the welded or solid rings on them (that are bigger than your rod eye). If your store bought leaders end up junked- Save the swivel only and learn how to build your own leaders.

Trolling with Dbl 10's or any bucktail's that roll over will twist your line. Just add a Keel weight to your bucktail. It works great. I think Greg Thomas had a article in one of the big muskie magazines on how to do it.

It is simpley a egg sinker with a 2" wire shaft w/ a snap on one end. Just clip it to the split ring on the front hook of the bucktail when needed.

Worked great last weekend- no line twist and no fish confused

Steve

p.s. The old big Pacemaker is one of my money baits. They were made to run slow. It gets the attention of Big fish and gives them time to move on it. I did not use it as a search bait- Slow and Methodical. The new plastic Pacemaker does run faster without rolling but I would fish it EXACTLY as I fis the old wood ones. Send me your defective Wood Pacemakers wink