• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing line age

ikeslayer

Does anyone know how to tell how old line is? There is a store that has a deal on line and i just want to know if there is any way of telling how long it has been on the shelf? for example the picture below is a spool i had in my basement below the .25mm does anyone know what these numbers are? i am guessing they are dates somehow. Any help is appreciated. IMAGE_230.jpg

The code you want to look at is printed underneath the average line diameter info. That code will begin with a letter indicating the month the line was made...A = Jan., B = Feb., C =March, etc. After the letter will be a number from 1-31, indicating the day of that month the line was made. The next number will be the year it was made...0 = 2000, 1 = 2001, 2=2002, etc. The rest of the info is the plant shift that made the line, just in case they get a bad batch they can narrow it down to the exact shift that messed up. Hopefully that helps.

No problem. I'm just not sure if it applies to brands outside of Berkley...knowing the sport fishing industry, probably not. wink

Staying on topic. I do use a spool of mono that is 3 years old. But in general, I try to stay fresh within a year or two. I'd be curious about the effects of time on the strength of line.