• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Fall Sturgeon Season

DTro

It is upon us.

Since we don’t have a Sturgeon forum, let’s talk about it here.

Here are the details for the 2008 season:

Lake sturgeon may be harvested September 6 through October 15 on the St. Croix River from Taylors Falls Dam downstream to the mouth at Prescott, Wisconsin. The possession limit is one per season and the minimum size limit is 50". The season is closed on all other waters except those along the Ontario-Minnesota border.

*Sturgeon tag needed to harvest.

I’m going to try to get over there several times this year. The cost of gas sure isn’t fun, but hooking into the 50+” fish is! There are some really nice fish in the St Croix river and every year a few MONSTERS are boated.

Fishing for them is quite similar to Channel cats. Same basic rig.

Let’s share your experiences here

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. That one was huge! I think it was like 72 inches with a 33 inch girth. The article I read said they estimated it at 120 lbs, but either way it would have been a state record had he harvested it. He didn't have a tag.

I'm game for a couple of outings. Gas is not as bad when you split it a few ways, it is only like 60 miles from the SW metro to the landing, after all. The old crestliner needs to get fired up a couple more times this year anyway, he's feeling neglected since I got the jon boat for the river.

Was pretty slow out there last night. We did pick up several smaller Sturgeon, but it's not really the greatest Sturgeon fishing when a Channel cat is the biggest fish of the night.

I’m going to try to get over there several times this year. The cost of gas sure isn’t fun, but hooking into the 50+” fish is! There are some really nice fish in the St Croix river and every year a few MONSTERS are boated.

Darrin, I hit the river at least twice a week. If you ever want to meet down there let me know. We could take my boat out to save ya some gas. I have a park sticker to go out of the Bluffs so no cost to launch.

Originally Posted By: dtro

Darrin, I hit the river at least twice a week. If you ever want to meet down there let me know. We could take my boat out to save ya some gas. I have a park sticker to go out of the Bluffs so no cost to launch.

I just might have to take you up on that offer.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
Originally Posted By: dtro

I just might have to take you up on that offer.

Thanks

Anytime. Shoot me at email at s_e_hendricks at comcast.net sometime.

We'll if anyone's willing to take out a first timer when it comes to the sturgies, I'd love the chance. I'd pitch in for gas and cover the parking fee. Always wanted a chance at one but have had the opportunity.

Quetico, be careful!! Once you hook into your first one, they hook you back, in terms of now you will want to catch more and more of them! Kinda like cats did to me.

I used to fish for all different kinds of species ie. panfish, walleye, pike, bass... but this year after getting bite by the catfish and sturgeon bug last year, I have found myself only fishing for panfish probably less than 5 times, and probably even less than that for the other mentioned species. But I have been out catfishing and strugeon fishing way more. I don't even think I could figure out how many hours I have spent on the water after them. I know that after fishing for sturgeon last fall on the st. croix, I didn't even give a second thought to wanting to go to the Rainy this past spring for them, and now I think next year that there may be a couple of trips up to the Rainy, they are just way to much fun to only fish for them a couple of times.

I agree with Crazy but it shouldn't stop you from trying! I was a bit tired of waiting on catfish that wouldn't bite so I fished for bluegills with worms for a day. There is no comparison between a good fight and having nibbling panfish steal your bait.

Quetico or anyone else I plan on heading out of Bayport sunday and/or tuesday night. Starting at 10-11p sunday and around 7p tuesday. As of right now I have an open seat with a couple maybes to take it. I found out yesterday though those maybes leave me wondering at 10pm whether or not i can land a fish by myself. I would be driving up from rochester.