Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Foss

Palin's speech: Thumbs up or thumbs down?

253 posts in this topic

She sure was a refreshing change from boring Rudy.

She was comfortable, confident and tough. Pretty polished with no flubs, and of course she had a great speech that was written by an excellent speechwriter and was preaching to the choir of fellow Repubs.

So I'll leave out all the jibes at Obama/Biden and Dem policies, because those were just aimed at whipping up the already converted.

She came across as plenty savvy, and neatly turned aside the idea that she's not experienced enough by pointing out the lack of executive experience in her opponents.

I'd give her an A+ except for her inability to use the crowd well. She consistently found herself stopping after trying to continue speaking after the crowd started cheering. It was her own fault, because her pacing was very deliberate and full of pauses, opening the door for the boisterous crowd. A more experienced speaker moves briskly through a single series of ideas without pause, only pausing and giving the crowd the chance to cheer and buoy her up when she's ready for that.

All that said, I give her a B+ in this speech. I bet next time out she'd get an A+ because she strikes me as a quick study.

I expect she'll be plenty tough enough to give back every one of Bulldog Biden's jibes in upcoming debates.

The Repubs are getting a lot more out of their choice for VP than the Dems are with theirs. Sarah Palin comes across as everywoman, and I think the Dems better be worried.

Wow. You beat me by moments, but my wife called me back into the room to see McCain come out.

She was wonderful, and for me pretty much re-framed the whole debate.

Funny you mention the speech writer as I said the same thing to my wife.

A great speech that was delivered well.

I'm almost looking more forward to the VP debate than the main one.

I looked at my wife and said, "this will be the first woman president"

I'd give her a solid A. She had a great delivery and showed how tough she can be. I think they said it best on TV when they said that between her and Rudy, they left some things on the table for the Obama campaign to answer. She's got humor, intelligence and toughness. Good for her on the speech.

I agree Dtro, she could very well be the first woman president, even if they don't make it this year. IMO she comes off a lot better than hillbillary.

for me pretty much re-framed the whole debate.

I think you are right. She had a whopper of an impact, and an unknown VP candidate who comes out of nowhere and accomplishes that has hit a homerun.

Best line of the night:

"He wrote two books about himself but couldn't write a law"

grin

Yeah, there were some sweet lines. That speechwriter better get a thank-you case of Dom Perignon.

Yeah, there were some sweet lines. That speechwriter better get a thank-you case of Dom Perignon.

I thought she did a great job reading an excellent speech. There was enough humor there that I had to go to the fridge for part two of the two drink minimum.

ROFL when the delegates were cheering about drilling. Think the Oil boys had to clean themselves up afterward?

Hopefully Senator McCain can share what's going to be different about the "new" GOP approach to fiscal responsibility tomorrow.

Well, I know Biden can take a punch and keep on coming. I guess we'll see how well Obama can fight with his lips bloodied and his ears ringing.

I'm going to be REALLY into both the pres and VP debates now. If nothing else, it'll be good sport.

I'm going to be REALLY into both the pres and VP debates now. If nothing else, it'll be good sport.

Celebrity Deathmatch will have nothing on this fare.

I thought the best line was "I guess a small town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities."

Ha! Take that lefties! I love how the dems think it's ok to put president in office who doesn't have any experience, but it's not ok for the reps to put a VP in office that doesn't have much national experience.

I still can in no way vote for McCain and his policies. Oh ya, who is she????

So you're for tax and spend then Harvey?

my favorite line was about the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull is lipstick.......the vp debate is gonna be a fun one. Still not sure on who or if I will vote this fall, yes I know it is my responsibility but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken guano, and there is a lot of guano in DC on both sides of the aisles..........

Beats giving all the wealthy a free ride with less taxes I would say. I will pay the added taxes and vote democrat before I will ever vote for any republican.

I thought the best line was "I guess a small town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities."

I thought that was a great line, too, with some strong truth to it.

However, having been a community organizer myself, I know we felt that our actual responsibility was to motivate regular people within the community to become involved in public policy, to make their voice and their opinions heard by those in office. Empowering the disenfranchised one person at a time was something we took pretty seriously.

Of course, I'm not running for president, either. I don't think my stints as a park board member and vol firefighter in a small N.D. town and rep on the English Department Executive Committee of a N.D. university are quite enough on the resume for a presidential bid. gringrin

As for Palin's speech, she didn't change the world, but dang if Sarah Barracuda and her pitbull lipstick didn't dent it a little bit.

I don't think my stints as a park board member and vol firefighter in a small N.D. town and rep on the English Department Executive Committee of a N.D. university are quite enough on the resume for a presidential bid. gringrin

Steve, in this election, you're over qualified.

Huckabee had a good line: "I'm not a Republican because I grew up rich, but because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life poor, waiting for the government to rescue me."

Huckabee had a good line: "I'm not a Republican because I grew up rich, but because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life poor, waiting for the government to rescue me."

Some of my best friends are rich Democrats. winkwinkwink

We're happy for them.

I think you missed the intent of that line though. It means he, like many, went out and earned what he got and didn't sit around waiting for the social ideals to provide him with everything. Furthermore, to not have that which was earned to be taken away only to be redistributed to those who DID wait on the government to rescue them.

I didn't catch that, but that is a great quote. I may have to use that one. grin